Windows 8.1 Startup Blue Screen after disabling Intel HD Graphics 4000

mrkelkel

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I have a Fujitsu LH772 laptop, which has an Intel i5 3230m CPU @2.6GHZ and a nVidia 640M LE GPU. I was trying to disable the Intel gpu in the device manager, and when I clicked on the disable button, everything on my laptop screen disappeared except my wallpaper. I forced shutdown and restarted my laptop. The Fujitsu logo appeared, but after that a blue screen appeared. I cannot do anything except moving the cursor. The bios still works, but there isn't an option for me to enable/disable the iGPU. I tried to install Windows 7 on the other partition to use its device manager to re-enable the iGPU, but it wouldn't boot the installation disk, showing "boot error" every time. I can't enter recovery mode, because the startup times are too fast. I tried plugging an HDMI cable into the laptop to connect to my TV, but the TV just shows "NO SIGNAL". The only option I haven't tried is connecting a VGA cable, as I remember that the nVidia GPU is responsible for VGA outputs. I don't have a VGA cable at the moment, so I need other solutions. I have tried almost everything possible, but it still shows the blue screen with only a cursor. I just bought this laptop last month and I don't want to trash it.

Quick shout out to everyone who disables the Intel HD graphics, especially those thinking that it will force the dGPU to run exclusively: don't do it. Current systems with switchable graphics don't work that way.

I don't know what is on your other partition that you tried installing Windows to, but chances are that if you cannot enter the OS nor boot from the recovery partition (which you should be able to do the latter unless it's corrupted or missing), you're going to need to reinstall Windows on the original OS partition. If you have a recovery partition and you want to keep it, don't format that.

Also, while I can't speak for Fujitu's design specifically, there are systems that use the Intel chip to drive external monitors. The dedicated graphics chip handles more intensive rendering in Optimus laptops; I can only surmise that this is the same design in your laptop, based off your experience.

mrkelkel

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

So is there a way to enable the iGPU without formatting and reinstalling a new OS? Or do I have to reinstall windows? I don't have the Windows 8.1 serial number and I don't have a recovery disk.

mrkelkel

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

It came with Windows 8, but I upgraded it to 8.1 through the Windows Store.

blur37

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
i woulda say use the safe mode ? i mean if that happen force shutdown then choose safe mode and re-enable the driver ? that works when my amd gives me bsod so i can disable that thing

You do not need your product key then─ that is, unless you are installing Windows from a non-OEM source. Your product key is coded in the firmware. Installing Windows 8 should not prompt you for a product key as long as your installation source is associated with the OEM. If it's a generic copy or another edition, then you may be prompted for a key.

If you want to install Windows 7, you need to have Secure Boot disabled and UEFI disabled (or Legacy BIOS enabled). Your hard drive would then need converted to MBR; it's most likely GPT now.

If your recovery is still intact, your best bet is to use that if you can figure out the timing and hotkey.