Windows 8 OS partition help

Jan 17, 2018
I have a problem with the partition that holds the OS system. I wanted windows 7 so i used a disk to try to install it. During the installation process, it would not accept the partition I selected and said that the partition needed to be formatted. I went to format it and accidentally formatted the partition with the default OS installed on it and found that after the windows 7 installation completed I was unable to switch back to windows 8.1 (default OS) as a dual boot. I installed windows 10 as a backup since more ram is made available on whichever OS the laptop came with (windows 8.1 in my case). Any advice would be nice.

PC: Toshiba Satellite C55-B5298
Processor: Intel Celeron N2830
Ram: 4GB (3.89 usable)
64-bit operating system

USAFRet

Illustrious
8.1, to 7, to 10, to....

What do you want the end state to be? What OS do actually want on this thing?

Whichever, you just have to install it properly.
As in....during the install process, select Custom.
Delete ALL existing partitions, and let your chosen OS create what it needs.
7/8.1/10...all work pretty much the same in that regard.

USAFRet

Illustrious
NOTE:
No matter which OS version you finish with, 7/8.1/10...that system will be slow.
Simply because it is a Intel Celeron N2830. Any of the 3 OS's will run just about the same.

It will be slow, simply because it is a slow crippled system.

Jan 17, 2018

I see how I made that part confusing. I started with 8.1 and I installed 7 because I like the UI better not to improve functionality. Then I found out from someone that downgrading forces my pc allow half the ram it actually has. So I tried to go back to 8.1 which is when I found out it is not dualbootable because of the formatting. So I went to 10 as a last resort until I could find a way to get 8 back. I do not have a windows 8 disk and I have to buy it to install it from microsoft's website. Is there maybe a way you know of to get 8.1 without having to buy it back.

USAFRet

Illustrious

"Then I found out from someone that downgrading forces my pc allow half the ram it actually has."
Whoever told you that...you need to stop listening to them. Completely.

A system that started with 8.1, and then you install 7...does not force it to use "half the ram". That is just nonsense.

Dualboot? You can, if you really, really want. You'd need two actual Windows licenses. And do it properly.
It probably serves no purpose for your uses.

What OS do you actually want on this thing? We can (probably) guide you through doing that.
(but..there will be zero performance difference between the 3)

Jan 17, 2018

I would like 8.1.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You can download the Win 8.1 ISO here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Then, use Rufus to create your own USB install from that ISO file.

Boot from that.
When it asks you "where", select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all current partitions.
Select each, DELETE.
Leaving one large blank space.
Make that one large partition
Continue, letting Windows create what it needs.

Solution
Jan 17, 2018

I will give that a try. I will post results once completed. Thanks for the help!