Crystal Henderson

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
i have a toshiba satellite that had a dead HDD. i just replaced it and went to reinstall the windows 8 64bit disk i recived when i first purchased the laptop. however im unable to complete the install as it wont let me finish without a windows 8 64Bit key.
i would very much like to know if anyone has encountered this problem before and weather there is a way around it??

Solution

Crystal Henderson

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

it was preinstalled, however when you purchase a windows 8 laptop there is no key provided anywhere on the laptop, you may recieve it in an email when you register you laptop but i have yet to do that. However the laptops motherboard i ment to have the key inbuilt in to the bios, hence why it is so hard to downgrade your windows 8 laptop to a previous sytem such as windows 7.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right. But a reinstall with the correct Windows 8 OEM media will pick up that license key from the motherboard.

Crystal Henderson

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

Hence why i have asked for help..

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you're using the CD you got from Toshiba, and it doesn't work....contact Toshiba and see what's up.

Crystal Henderson

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

I have done this, have told me that all i had to do was run the cd as defaul during boot up and follow the steps. but still i hit the road block of the windows key that wont allow me to continue installation.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then I am entirely unsure of what is going on.

A Win 8 OEM install disk, direct from the manufacturer, should pick up the embedded OS license key.

Possibly try entering this generic OEM key:
46V6N-VCBYR-KT9KT-6Y4YF-QGJYH

It WILL require activation, but this may get past the install phase.

Solution