Windows 8 Testing Phase Took 1.2 Billion Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The more I use Win8 the more I like it. The first two days were painful, though. Now it's been over a month and I think I'm scrapping my plans to go back to Win7.

G

Guess it's going to take another 1.24 billion testing hours to realize you should have featured Active Directory from the start.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
All microsoft has to do is make a switch on Win8 pro to turn off metro and bring back the start bar or vice versa...

It literally takes only a few lines of code....

Why be a stubborn jack a s about it and just let people decide what they want?

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well i look at the amount of years and hours Vista went through and the end result wasn't good. So these hours don't impress me much. you'd think someone on MS would have said hey lets do something smart and allow users to disable metro and allow them to enable a start menu.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
1.2 hours????[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]All microsoft has to do is make a switch on Win8 pro to turn off metro and bring back the start bar or vice versa...It literally takes only a few lines of code....Why be a stubborn jack a s about it and just let people decide what they want?[/citation]

...and another 1.2 billion hours of testing :D

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
What a useless metric. People spent 1.2 billion hours on Windows 8 before the release. I'm more curious about how many things were changed during those 1.2 billion hours to try to alleviate customer complaints and respond to feedback. Testing is a two way street. Testing implies that things will be fixed or adjusted in the face of feedback. Those 1.2 billion hours were more like a shareware trial. Give me numbers that matter, Microsoft.

ihavenoid4u

Honorable
May 5, 2012
cant wait to get my new laptop with win8, prolly early '13 ill get one for new school semester. will have ubuntu as my 2nd boot option

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]The more I use Win8 the more I like it. The first two days were painful, though. Now it's been over a month and I think I'm scrapping my plans to go back to Win7.[/citation]
No issues here either. After a while I stopped missing the start menu, which is one of the main complains. At least the new UI is very fluid and it switches back and forth without slowing you down. I won't upgrade yet until I build my new rig sometime next year...which is the same thing I did with W7 - I waited half a year until I was ready to build a new PC so it felt nice and fresh.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Well i look at the amount of years and hours Vista went through and the end result wasn't good. So these hours don't impress me much. you'd think someone on MS would have said hey lets do something smart and allow users to disable metro and allow them to enable a start menu.[/citation]
After you update Vista to the current version the final product ends up performing and acting a lot like Win 7. Vista sucked at first but in the end was fine. Having said that... Win 7 worked from the get go and it's ease to install makes it a winner over Vista in my book.
As far as Win 8... we'll see.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
After all those hours, they couldn't see the underlining issue with the OS? That is to say, people like me, on principle, will not touch Win 8 for the simple fact that they took away a choice to switch between a toy tablet/phone OS and a real desktop OS and instead forced the toy OS to be the end all, be all. Once MS get's their heads out of their asses and allows us the choice to choose, then all will be right with the world again. Until then, here's my middle finger to your fake "desktop app".

maximus81

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]All microsoft has to do is make a switch on Win8 pro to turn off metro and bring back the start bar or vice versa...It literally takes only a few lines of code....Why be a stubborn jack a s about it and just let people decide what they want?[/citation]

Its all about the App store. No new UI down are throats means less $$$$ for them.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]After you update Vista to the current version the final product ends up performing and acting a lot like Win 7. Vista sucked at first but in the end was fine. Having said that... Win 7 worked from the get go and it's ease to install makes it a winner over Vista in my book. As far as Win 8... we'll see.[/citation]

Regardless of allthe pactes MS put out for Vista it still wasn't able to patch the memory leakage issue without a rework of the entire kernel structure.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]wcnighthawk[/nom]After all those hours, they couldn't see the underlining issue with the OS? That is to say, people like me, on principle, will not touch Win 8 for the simple fact that they took away a choice to switch between a toy tablet/phone OS and a real desktop OS and instead forced the toy OS to be the end all, be all. Once MS get's their heads out of their asses and allows us the choice to choose, then all will be right with the world again. Until then, here's my middle finger to your fake "desktop app".[/citation]

Just use the Classic Shell, and disable left/right popups through registry.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
If i spend 1 billion hours testing my software that does not meet the requirements of my customers, no matter how perfect the codes are and how smooth the software runs, it will still be crap to my customers.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]That means everyone in china looked at code for one hour for one day[/citation]

Or...if people work a standard 2080 hours a year (it'd be nice...) it's about half a million people testing for a year.

Not certain if I believe 1.2 Billion hours of testing.

G

God knows why anyone would want the start menu back. Scrolling through 3-4 sub menus to find the programme you want, or quickly scrolling across a single tiled interface and clicking the programme you want. Start menu did have a frequently used programme section, but since it could only show 5-6 programmes, I imagine most would have had shortcuts on the desktop for those which is faster than the start menu anyway, and the same as win 8.

You can pin any programme (including things like the control panel, the my computer link where all your drives are displayed, config programmes for devices etc.) to the start interface in win 8 anyway, just find the programme .exe right click and select "pin to start". A single full screen of the start interface holds 50+ small icons at 1600x900 resolution and can be accessed via one press of the windows key.

Really don't get what all the fuss is about...

radon_antila

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[nom]cookoy[/nom]If i spend 1 billion hours testing my software that does not meet the requirements of my customers, no matter how perfect the codes are and how smooth the software runs, it will still be crap to my customers.[/citation]

If you spend 1 THOUSAND hours testing your software and find that it does not meet the requirements of your customers: change the software.

But if you spend 1 BILLION hours testing your software and find that it does not meet the requirements of your customers: realize that you can't please these customers and it's time to change your customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.