Windows Defender detected as malware by Malwarebytes

supersmart07

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Hello I currently have Malwarebytes free version and I just ran a scan and it detected one malware. The following is extracted straight from the log file "File: 1
Generic.Malware/Suspicious, C:\PROGRAMDATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS DEFENDER\SCANS\FILESSTASH\A86D21CA-2B3C-C5B6-2FAF-7254691454F9_1D2A2583D2A1CDE" It says Windows Defender in there is it safe to remove the "malware"? Thanks a lot

Solution
Malware usually tries to insert itself into programs you'd usually suspect to be "safe" (like Windows Defender), so it's a possibility.

That may also be detecting malware than Windows defender has already identified (and removed, given it's in the "scans" subfolder).

I don't see any problem with removing it - it doesn't appear to be a program file required for Windows Defender to function.
Malware usually tries to insert itself into programs you'd usually suspect to be "safe" (like Windows Defender), so it's a possibility.

That may also be detecting malware than Windows defender has already identified (and removed, given it's in the "scans" subfolder).

I don't see any problem with removing it - it doesn't appear to be a program file required for Windows Defender to function.

Solution

supersmart07

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Sure then I'll remove it safely however there's one thing I find weird. I currently use Avast Free Version and Malwarebytes so Windows Defender should already be disabled anyway. Thanks for your reply.