Solved! Windows doesn't detect hardware on Lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY

Mar 8, 2021
I'm trying to help a friend resolve a problem with his Lenovo Ideapad laptop, model 100S-11IBY

The problem appears to be that Windows 10 doesn't detect some of the hardware, most noticeably the keyboard and touchpad, but also the battery and sound card. That is, these devices simply do not appear in the relevant categories in the Device Manager, and do not function.

I can use the computer using external USB mouse and keyboard.

I managed to boot Puppy Linux off a USB stick, and the mouse and keyboard work fine.

I've spent hours doing Windows updates. I've looked for drivers on the Lenovo website. I've tried the Lenovo System Update app. Now I've run out of ideas.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Solution
OK darn it I found the problem and of course it was staring me in the face. There was a missing "Intel Platform Driver" that apparently includes keyboard, touchpad, battery and sound among other things. I hope at least this will help someone else at some point.
Mar 8, 2021
It used to work but I can't answer the question of when it stopped working as it's not my computer and the owner doesn't know.

I have re-installed windows. Makes no difference apart from wasting half a day aka a Windows "moment". I've done BIOS reset, also no difference.

I'm trying to get Hiren's Boot CD to start, but finding it difficult getting a 64 bit OS to start on this machine.

Mar 8, 2021
OK darn it I found the problem and of course it was staring me in the face. There was a missing "Intel Platform Driver" that apparently includes keyboard, touchpad, battery and sound among other things. I hope at least this will help someone else at some point.

Solution