Windows Error "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Augmentum

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Hello Guys,

I have a Toshiba C855D-S5209 with windows 10. I have been searching on Google and the Microsoft boards trying to find why this error keeps rising. The LAN seems to be working fine but the WLAN is the problem here. The Wi-Fi speeds are greatly reduced to about half of what I'm getting from other devices. Furthermore, while playing online games, I often get disconnected causing a big headache for both my teammates and myself. I have tried numerous times to install the latest WLAN drivers but the error persists. I tried to run the troubleshooting and fixing it through there but the error remains.
I've also tried

1) Start > Run > type "regedit" > hit enter.
2) Locate the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
3) Right click and delete the entire Winsock key and the Winsock2 keys.
4) Close regedit.
Now, re-install TCP/IP overtop itself (it's a core component and can't be uninstalled, so we improvise..)
1) Login as admin. In control panel open up, "Network and Sharing Center"
2) Right click "Local Area Connection", and then click "Properties"
3) Under the This Component Uses the Following Items dialog box, click Install
4) Click Protocol, and then click Add
5) Click Have Disk
6) In the Copy Manufacture's files from box, type C:\windows\inf and then click OK.
7) In the list of protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click OK. Restart computer.

The problem here is that when I get to step 7 I get the error that says "the program is blocked by group policy".

I really don't know what to do. It seems that there are many people on the microsoft boards that are having the same issues I have and so far, they haven't been doing anything about it.

Thank You guys! I will try to do a couple more things before I take a rest.

The biggest problem is that you're entering random code without understanding what it does. Here's what you need to do:
1) Run SFC /scannow to check for windows corruptions that you may have caused. It might be able to fix some
2) Reinstall your network and wireless network drivers using the files from the manufacturer's support page

After you have your wireless network working again, run a speedtest.net test and compare it to other computers. If ping and speed is about the same (within 20%), you don't need to do anything else.

Augmentum

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014

Hey basroil,

Thank you for your reply. I ran the SFC /scannow command and it didn't find anything. I also re installed the network drivers and got the right speeds now. But yet i'm still getting the same windows troubleshooting message "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"
XayKBi.jpg

I have clicked the "try these repairs as an administrator" button and it says it fixed it but the same problem pops up again when I run the troubleshooting again. Anyone having these issues as well? Just troubleshooting internet connections?

Strid3r_2442

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015
Hello Augmentum,

If you haven't fixed this then I may be able to help.

Most forums and even Microsoft support will say that this is a problem with Windows System files but sometimes it's not which is why 'sfc /scannow' didn't show anything. It is actually a problem with the protocols but no one thinks that was as no one uninstalls them manually before this error appears.

Go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet (I don't use Wi-Fi so if Wi-Fi is an option, try it) -> Change adapter options -> Right-click the one you are having issues with -> Properties -> Install... -> Protocol -> Install what is there (For me I had one called 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' so I installed that. I haven't found this solution elsewhere so I don't know what it'll be for you.) -> You're done!

If this worked for you, please let me know and if there was a different protocol then please inform me with it's name. Cheers!

TheSingularChan

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Hey Augmentum, I am having the same issues as you. I tried all possible solutions on the internet including reinstalling Windows 10. These days, I am in contact with TP-Link, the provider of my Network Adapter, I'll tell you if we find any solution. Thanks!

BBLinda

Estimable
Feb 2, 2016
Hi,

I also have a Toshiba Satellite, and today, all of a sudden, I couldn't connect to the WIFI anymore, even though it has worked before. I searched the internet for half a day and tried multiple suggestions, but nothing worked, until I finally came across this youtube video, which finally solved my issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DpeeXLSDM

It first also said resetting failed, so I had to go through the registry editing as well, but that solved it for me, and I hope it will also help you and others who have the same issue.

Thanks to the guy who provided the solution!!!

Cocoonlady

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016

Thank you, I've been looking everywhere for a solution, but they only work for a couple of minutes, and had to restart pc every time I wanted to go online. Very annoying. Thank you so much for this! It seems to be working now

Smile12345

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

How did you install the protocol, or rather where did you install it: for me is stays it's already present. I don't know how to uninstall it and then reinstall it as I don't know where to find the file to install it. And how did you know which one you were specifically having issues with?

Strid3r_2442

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015

When you click 'Protocol' after clicking 'Install...', another menu should pop-up. Click whatever is in there and install it.

guldentonder

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Was having the protocols error message. Tried the youtube solution and updating protocols, neither worked.
i updated the network adapter driver and then checking the other tabs for any clues, on Power Management tab unchecked the box: Allow the computer the turn off this device to save power ..working now.

cjarcher

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

Monoliths

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Run Command Prompt as administrator. To do so in the search bar type Command Prompt, right click Command Prompt from list of results and choose Run as administrator.
When Command Prompt starts type netcfg -d and press Enter to run it.

M_5___

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I am still looking for a solution. Having the same error on BOTH Windows 10 computers (one is a Dell and the other a Toshiba), so it doesn't seem like a problem with one brand computer. Android tablets are working fine so seems pretty likely this is a Windows 10 problem. Have tried the youtube registry thing and every other suggestion to no avail. Only thing that works so far is re-setting the router every time it happens which is two or three times per hour.

Come on, Microsoft--how about pushing out a fix for this??!!!

Strid3r_2442

Estimable
Jul 13, 2015

Hello,

If my suggestion didn't work, you can also try uninstalling 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' and reinstalling it. Just follow my steps from before but before going to install, click 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' and then uninstall. After it is uninstalled, go to Install... -> Protocol -> 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' -> Install.

johnny o

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
There appears to be a very simple solution to this problem - its worked twice for me.
Go to control panel (small icons), select system, then device manager.
Select network adaptors, and display all adaptors, select the ethernet connection. Right click on that, select "uninstall".
Then up to menu, select "actions" (second tab) and then scan for new hardware.
That takes about 2 seconds.
Restart computer
Problem solved!
Hope that helps all of you with the problem.

I already suggested that method and OP already said it doesn't work.

johnny o

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

johnny o

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Well, all I can say is I've actually used this procedure on two different computers at work, and it has fixed the problem both times without any fiddling about with protocols, going to the command prompt, running regedit, running different programs etc. Sorry that it didn't work for OP - just hope it keeps on working for me, because I'm a simple soul!

Scott_W_H

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
After three hours on the phone with Tech support I took the issue into my own hands. After having a similar issue with my mobile phone I decided to try a similar fix.

In short I assigned a 'static' ip address. (See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/ ) for how to do this. For the DNS Server I entered the ip address for my router - although I don't know if that is necessary.

Good luck.

hansenmv

Commendable
May 8, 2016
The video with the 26 folder/thing in regedit seems to have corrected this (endless recurring missing protocol thing after WIN8.1 up to WIN10) - thank you. Truly amazing - the HUGE number of toggles / buttons buried god knows where that can screw up.