Windows Mobile 7 to Arrive Late Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A year ago, Windows Mobile 7 was supposed to be coming at the end of 2009. We get to the end of 2009, and then they tell us it will be delayed until the end of 2010, another year.

It's no wonder that handset makers like Motorola and Palm have ditched Windows Mobile completely. Sony Ericcson and HTC phasing it out, and switching to Google's Android platform. Software developers have also abandoned Windows Mobile, which explains why there are no new apps in Microsoft's Mobile Marketplace store.

Windows Mobile is already dead. Android is the new winner.

abhik

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Windows mobile is far from dead. reading any quality tech source can tell you that. i emphasise QUALITY as article like these give toms hardware a bad name. find me an actual fact in the second paragraph (and not the writer's opinion) and i might reconsider

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
"Isn't that somewhat late in the game?"

Microsoft was always late in the game, partly because it's a mammoth company and moves and turns slowly, but once it's got some speed it pretty much thrashes everything in it's way. I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss Microsoft on any market once it's sets it's mind on it ...

We shall see what happens, this time they have to compete with Apple which has it's way of making loyal fans and now Google which is not a easily dismissible adversary by a long shot. But, I honestly believe that by playing the right cards Microsoft can make a comeback, after all they have roughly 11 Mil. developers working for them, and some of those will be thrilled at the prospect of a windows marketplace similar to AppStore. If somehow Microsoft manages to pull the same stunt on the Mobile market like they did with Windows 7 then the competition will heat up to new levels.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Will Microsoft hurry up and release a mobile OS without that stupid frigan 32MB per app limitation. Its driving me frigan nuts. Just release that fix, then take all the god damn time you want!

ashrafpasha

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
My Windows 6.1 mobile keeps buzzing.. Maybe with Windows 7 mobile.. it will sing.. I am just not sure if the issue is with my phone or the OS.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I had several WinMo phones before I bought my iPhone.. When my contract is up this summer, we'll see if I go back.. Looks doubtful.. Not very impressed WinMo6.5.. If the new iPhone fails, I'll prolly end up with an HTC running Android..

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
@abhik

Really they are out of the race. The should not be allowed back in either. I will never own another windows mobile OS.

The second paragraph while subjective is 100% accurate. Current windows mobile is barely functional let alone competitive. They are now two generations behind. Now they offer vaporware, no thanks.

mi1400

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Restrictions_and_issues
The Android platform does not support animated .gif files at this time. It only shows the first frame.
Android uses Linux as its kernel,[79] but according to Google, it is not a conventional Linux distribution; it does not have a native X Window System, nor does it support the full set of standard GNU libraries like its system libraries (GNU C Library). This specific modification makes it difficult to reuse existing Linux applications or libraries on Android.[80]
Android does not use established Java standards, i.e. Java SE and ME. This prevents compatibility among Java applications written for those platforms and those for the Android platform. Android only reuses the Java language syntax, but does not provide the full-class libraries and APIs bundled with Java SE or ME.[81]
Because of potential security issues,[82] Android does not officially allow apps to be installed on, nor run from, an SD card. Current Android products such as the HTC Dream and Magic have limited onboard memory and many users feel restricted by this lack of functionality.[83] However, several unsupported modifications exist, to give the user this capability.[84]
ARM Holdings and RealNetworks have expressed doubt that it will gain a major market share as a netbook OS.[85]
Responsiveness can be poor due to the limitations of Dalvik's automatic memory management.[86]
Developers reported that it's difficult to maintain applications working on different versions of Android, because of various compatibility issues between versions 1.5 and 1.6. This however was only true in some rare cases, specifically during the ADC2 contest.[87].

I believe office2010's coming in 2H-2010 will cause a milestone WinMo release. this will bring the real push for WinMo6.5.1 or WinMo7. MS is releaved from Windows7 side and all energies are now concentrated on Office/Sharepoint-2010 and WinMo. I can also think of this because Office2010 will be super compatible version with Cloud and GoogleWebApp Killer. this all jargon canot be convincing unless MS shows this on ground and no other better way than to show Web/Cloud on Mobile devices. Hence Office/Sharepoint-2010's survival is attached to future of strong WinMo/

firebld

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
looking at apple app sale for iphone.. its just the hottest things around the world... i ditch window mobile sometime back... if mobile 7 ever appear back i'm sure we all luv to hv a look at it... after we hang around netbook, notebook n desktop on window 7 already... as for android, its not having impact down here yet... by end 2010, apple would have taken the smart phone segment- its game over, just like they did with ipod. and guess what, we in asia buy ipod here there and every where... and its not cheap though, here. so i still bet on apple to be here there and every where...

Status
Not open for further replies.