Windows Movie Maker vs lagarith codec

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I'm recording a vid with lagarith, but when I go to work on in in either Windows Movie Maker or avidemux, neither software sees the file properly. With avidemux it's just green screen while with WMM I get colourful vertical lines across the video. funny thing is that when I restart the vid in WMM the lines disappear and I get the actual movie, but when exporting the file to AVI the lines are back on the output file.
Any help will be appreciated.

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I don't use WMM or Lagarith Codec personally so I cannot troubleshoot that. However, I have come across video encoded using certain codecs that don't work properly in some applications. In times like these I convert the video to something else. I recommend using VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod and using something like huffyuv if Lagarith isn't working. Then try importing the video into WMM. If its a large video, try converting a small portion of it to check for quality and compatibility before doing the whole file, to save time.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with specific fixes but in lieu of that, conversion might be the next best option.

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Very interesting suggestion.
I downloaded the software you mention and it generally worked.... but there is a 'but'. Original vid (6 sec) was 101 MB, after extracting to AVI through Virtualdub the same lenght was 1.3GB(!) popped the second file into WMM and extracted to MP4 from there, thus achieving 2.3 MB.
Now, as you can probably tell I'm no professional, so let me just explain what I was trying to do and I'm eager to hear how would you go about it. I'm recording HD screen capture footage with intention of uploading to youtube. Processing it through WMM was my way of reducing the file size, as we'd be dealing with circa 50GB recorsdings. Also, MP4 quality offered by WMM is probably a bit more poor than I'd have wanted. Any suggestions?
Again, thanks a lot or a great advise, it's much appreciated.

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
In all fairness, I did know that VirtualDub and huffyuv would give you a huge file, though I did assume you were a professional and also expected this ;)

Anyhow, VirtualDub can be used for a lot of things, among them, compression. So you're aware, VirtualDub will only allow exporting .AVI files, though you can compress them with various different types of codecs. If your goal is getting them onto YouTube, this shouldn't be a problem as YouTube accepts .AVI files: https://support.google.com/youtube/troubleshooter/2888402?hl=en

Now, you can use VirtualDub alone to compress the files for uploading to YouTube. You may or may not have one installed already but click on Video > Compression and view your list of installed Codecs. I personally prefer to use H.264/MPEG-4 type codecs. DIVX is also another great choice. Depending on what your upload limit for YouTube, adjust your compression settings (which will vary depending on the codec) for Quality and then Size. DIVX, if I remember correctly, has a few presets you can use if you don't want to tinker too much with the settings.

Check out this video I found. You can skip to about 2:52 for the part on compression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3-ECsWRUjA

Unfortunately I'm not on my home PC otherwise I'd provide specific settings you can use. I use Adobe After Effects and Premiere for everything these days so I'm more used to that. If all else fails though, you could download the 30 Day trial for either of those. They're awesome.

For re-encoding video to another format you could try these two free programs:
MPEG Streamclip: http://www.squared5.com/
Handbrake: http://handbrake.fr/
I have and do use both of these. Though both are free they do not contain ads and are not virus ridden.
Converting any video file to .avi is going to increase the size of the file as .avi is uncompressed.
I agree with AGx-07_162 Premiere Pro and After Effects are awesome but may be a little challenging for a beginner. You could start with something like Corel VideoStudio Pro X6 ($69.99) at http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?1=1&trkid=USsemKWS&storeKey=us&pid=prod4900075&gclid=CPyJs_DK9LkCFQue4AodFm8Amw
It will give you more output options, accepts more video formats, and has more options than Windows Movie Maker.

metallfan

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Well then, I sat down today and played with virtualDub and managed to turn 6.5 GB file intyo 300 MB one, so that's a progress. It will probably take some time for me to find just the right codec for compression and just the right settings, so any tips in this matter would be much appreciated. I am aming to make 30-40 min videos, so I'd be looking for a decent quality/size ratio. The interface is a bit confusing though so I might look for some more tutorials once I have some time to sit down with it.
All in all, I found you suggestion extremely helpful and I appreciate it a lot.
As to the paid software, for my simple needs I wouldn't really want to spend much, especially not on this early stage, I'll bare in mind the two free programmes in case I'll encounter another challenge (in my experience, sooner rather than later).

AGx-07_162

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

The complicated things are often more powerful, flexible, and useful than simple ones (in my experience). There are a ton of settings in there that you can mess with, most of which I never touch considering my needs. What's most important to me is conversion, quality, and size. If you turned a 6.5 GB into a 300 MB file and maintained acceptable quality, maybe just tweak what you've done. If YouTube is your primary audience, remember that you can upload up to 20GB with verified accounts, it just takes longer, so if you can spare the data don't worry too much about crushing it down to nothing.

You should also consider Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip as you may like them better. If you're going to be working with video a lot or as a profession, you should just dig your heels into learning how to use Adobe Premiere/After Effects, Final Cut Pro, or Corel VideoStudio.