Windows or Chrome?

CS Learning

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015
I'm considering purchasing the Toshiba Chromebook. I've always used a Windows based OS. With the Chrome OS, will I still be able to create and manage my documents as easily? How about photo editing? Does it come with security? Everything else looks great for my other interests. Thanks!

manmeetpaul

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
1-If there's nothing else than creating and managing documents, it won't matter.
2-You'll have to use picasa for photo editing :D .
3- Security is fine( it's google).
Go for it!
Very best :)

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Did you just say security is fine because it is google? Google is just as insecure as Windows. Android has tons of holes alone.

OP, for the basics it is fine. However, it wont support all the software you might be used to and will feel a little weak for some things, such as photo editing, compared to Windows based programs.

As for security, this is a cloud based system so it is secure to a point, depends on how secure Googles cloud servers are and these days, servers from even big companies are being proven hackable.

Honestly I would only get one for basic tasks like web browsing and maybe document editing but I can tell you that Google Docs is nowhere near as powerful as Microsoft Office and Picasa is not even near the same level as Photoshop or GIMP. Just based on my uses.

manmeetpaul

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Lol I'm sure the op won't be learning how to use PS in the coming future. His uses are basic. As far as the security thing goes. I'm sure it'll be better than Windows in basically every way.

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Do you work for google? Chrome os in every way is worse then windows its a no brainer if cost is the same. With windows no matter what program or anything you decide to do you will be able to do it. With chrome os you are extremely limited its not worth it

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

The OP stated he wants photo editing therefore I would assume he uses something to edit photos with and I do not count the built in software for Windows as a real photo editor.

Picasa is nothing like PS.

I cannot vouch for Chrome OS cloud based security. I didn't build the system and if a big company run by game designers and modders like VALVe and even companies that have been in the PC business since before Google existed, Sony, can be hacked Google can be hacked too.

TRENDING THREADS