Windows Phone 7 is Xbox Live Arcade Ready

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Bluetooth controller.

Also it would be good if you can hook the phone up to your 360 and get the game from there rather than using your 3G connection due to download caps.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]zoltek[/nom]why would you honestly want to play BF 1943 on a phone?[/citation]

Why wouldn't you??

honestly though, it would mostly be a performance benchmark thing, cuz I'm finding it hard to believe that all the XBLA games can be ported so simply. Case in point with BF1943.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
BS!!! maybe XBLA games that have been written in c#! but most were/are written in c++! in which case you would have to change EVERY line of code! which is exactly what I'm doing now! is there something I'm missing here???

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]BS!!! maybe XBLA games that have been written in c#! but most were/are written in c++! in which case you would have to change EVERY line of code! which is exactly what I'm doing now! is there something I'm missing here???[/citation]
You do know that the only officially supported method of writing XBLA games are using XNA and C#. Maybe you were stubborn and chose to do it in C++ but I highly doubt that most developers would go with the unsupported path.

G

You must be confusing "Xbox Live Arcade" with "Xbox Live Indie Games". Indie games are written in XNA/C#. Everyone can download the XNA software development kit and develop indie games.

XBLA games are mainly written using XDK/C/C++/ASM just like all the retail titles, and are tested using the hardware development kits. Unlike Xbox Indie Titles (written in C#), the XBLA titles developed using XDK can fully access the hardware. I don't know where you got the "unsupported path" information from, but that information is not correct. All the major graphics heavy XBLA games are developed using XDK.

I doubt we see major graphics heavy titles such as Battlefield 1943, Trials HD, Portal and Toy Soldiers on the phone anytime soon. Even if the developer is willing to port hundreds of thousands lines of C++ code to C# (all their existing technology), there is one additional huge problem remaining: The phone does not support programmable shaders yet. At launch there are only a few very limited Microsoft made shaders available. So you can forget real time shadows, per pixel lighting and all your fancy post process effects (HDR lighting, light blooms, depth of field, motion blur, etc).

Hopefully we will get full shader access in the future, and the option to write native C++. Otherwise it will be rather difficult for Microsoft to get all the biggest game development companies behind their device. So far there has been no big announcements for existing gaming frachises. Only small indie games have been shown. I doubt this is the strategy Microsoft is the most comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS