Windows Phone 7's Upgrade to WP8 Apollo Now Unclear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I bought the HTC HD7 yesterday , and i wake up with this news ? How unlucky could i be ?
tomorow news will be " No HD7 updates at all " :O

G

More FUD from Microsoft... color me surprised.

Let me translate all that marketing PR babble for you:

"No. WP7 phones are not going to get upgraded to WP8 (it's technically unfeasible, but there's no point explaining this in detail to your typical dumb consumer of electornic gadgets). Still, please do not stop purchasing WP7 phones. We need to grow our 'third ecosystem' and improve our measly single digit % market share."

You are welcome.

turtlehunter0

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I didn't buy my Samsung Focus S (Microsoft gave it too me free at an app building competition), but I really do hope I can upgrade it to Apollo.

I love the WP7 interface so much more than that of my iPhone. I only use the WP7 as a dev phone and extra toy to play around with on Wifi because I am in the middle of my contract on Verizon and I'm NOT going to switch to AT&T, but come time to buy a new phone I sure hope there is a good WP8 phone on Verizon!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Well, don't you worry, Microsoft. After downloading Windows 8 Consumer Preview and installing it onto VirtualBox, not only will I not buy it for my own Desktop, but I also will not buy a Windows Phone 7, or Windows Phone 8. Joke's on Microsoft. I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but, I just might get a MAC...at the expense of giving up gaming....and spending too much on a name brand (Apple) instead of a home build.

Oh, and I thought of a new name for Windows 8: Windows WTF!

djfv

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
And I thought MS opted for closed platform in order to bring us "seamless user experience". What a pity. Why do they keep shooting themselves in the foot?
Hope this is not true.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
What the hell is he talking about here:
"Statistically speaking, no Android phone gets upgraded," Myerson said during the meeting. "None. Ever. They have big bugs that don't even get patched. That's what we're seeing statistically out there"
This must be the most stupid comment I have ever seen.
I mean, my first android phone, the Acer Liquid, got a couple of updates from 1.6 up to 2.2 (and probably 2.3, but that point I had bought another phone).

No android phones? None ever?
It is the opposite, most android phones gets updates and it's much more often than once a year compared to the iphone, for most phones.
And with very little bugs at this point when I'm using Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy S2.
It's just absolute total lies from that slimy microsoft guy!

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
"Yet to some degree, Microsoft is seemingly doing the same thing, forcing Windows Phone 7.x owners to purchase a new Windows Phone 8 device if they want to enjoy the full multi-screen One-OS-To-Rule-Them-All experience."

nobody still knows, MS sure doesn't want to lose customers, especially that their WP still has a low market share

G

Could this relate to the fact that the majority of android phones that are sold today have some version of android 2.x installed, that the majority of android tablets currently sold have a version of android 3.x installed, that most phone and tablets manufacturer have distributed lists of devises that they plan to be upgradedable soon to android 4.x but yet, after more then half a year since the release of ice cream sandwich, none of those updrades have been made available?

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Maybe people should WAIT for an official statement, rather than blasting off on wild tangents?!?!? I am hopeful that my Nokia 900 is upgradeable, BUT...given that WP 8 will bring microSD, I am, in all likelihood, going to be upgrading to a new phone, once the new OS is launched.

""Yet to some degree, Microsoft is seemingly doing the same thing, forcing Windows Phone 7.x owners to purchase a new Windows Phone 8 device if they want to enjoy the full multi-screen One-OS-To-Rule-Them-All experience."

nobody still knows, MS sure doesn't want to lose customers, especially that their WP still has a low market share
.."

Indeed, we have only basic outlines of what Win8 will be like, but slamming Microsoft, when Android and iOS do it with EVERY OS upgrade is extremely riddiculous!

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Umm... I bought my HTC HD7 2 days before the release of WP7 and I've been an advocate and fanboi since. Are they really doing this to the loyal customers who supported them on day one? To be honest, I probably would have upgraded anyways as that is about the time my contract is up, but if they don't allow my current phone to be updated to WP8, then I may just switch to Android. That's f**king rediculus.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Guess it was bad timing of my part... bought a brand new Nokia Lumia 800 just a couple days ago... hope Microsoft doesn't disappoint they are already doing a bad enough job trying to push Windows Phone 7.x

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]What the hell is he talking about here:"Statistically speaking, no Android phone gets upgraded," Myerson said during the meeting. "None. Ever. They have big bugs that don't even get patched. That's what we're seeing statistically out there"This must be the most stupid comment I have ever seen.I mean, my first android phone, the Acer Liquid, got a couple of updates from 1.6 up to 2.2 (and probably 2.3, but that point I had bought another phone).No android phones? None ever? It is the opposite, most android phones gets updates and it's much more often than once a year compared to the iphone, for most phones. And with very little bugs at this point when I'm using Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy S2.It's just absolute total lies from that slimy microsoft guy![/citation]

You are misunderstanding the majority of the smartphone-buying public, this is why he is being quoted in a Tom's guide article and your views are left to the comments section.

Just because certain manufacturers and networks push out updates on their kit, does not mean that everyone applies them. For example I had a Business Development Manager for a big business-to-business mobile phone distributor ask me recently what the notification icon on his Blackberry Bold 9900 was for - the one that announced an over the air software update is available.

The point that I believe Terry Myerson is making is that an OTA software update does not constitute an 'upgrade' of the phone itself because the hardware remains unchanged.

Much like if you migrated an older business machine with 512MB of RAM from Windows XP to Windows 7 would result in a very poor end user experience, slapping new OS software on to legacy hardware can often create problems that do not warrant the term 'upgrade'.

This is the reason, for example, that HTC have been hesitant in the past to release certain OS updates for certain phones - because they actually understand that putting operating systems with enhanced functionality and more demanding UI etc on to older kit can actually be highly detrimental to the end user experience.

The one thing that I think has tarnished Myerson's comments is the Apple reference. I'm no Apple fanboy (I use Windows PCs exclusively) but my girlfriend is an Apple nut, and before we got her an iPhone 4S her iPhone 3GS was running quite happily with iOS 5. Apple have actually done a pretty good job there...

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]DaveUK[/nom]You are misunderstanding the majority of the smartphone-buying public, this is why he is being quoted in a Tom's guide article and your views are left to the comments section.Just because certain manufacturers and networks push out updates on their kit, does not mean that everyone applies them. For example I had a Business Development Manager for a big business-to-business mobile phone distributor ask me recently what the notification icon on his Blackberry Bold 9900 was for - the one that announced an over the air software update is available.The point that I believe Terry Myerson is making is that an OTA software update does not constitute an 'upgrade' of the phone itself because the hardware remains unchanged. Much like if you migrated an older business machine with 512MB of RAM from Windows XP to Windows 7 would result in a very poor end user experience, slapping new OS software on to legacy hardware can often create problems that do not warrant the term 'upgrade'. This is the reason, for example, that HTC have been hesitant in the past to release certain OS updates for certain phones - because they actually understand that putting operating systems with enhanced functionality and more demanding UI etc on to older kit can actually be highly detrimental to the end user experience.The one thing that I think has tarnished Myerson's comments is the Apple reference. I'm no Apple fanboy (I use Windows PCs exclusively) but my girlfriend is an Apple nut, and before we got her an iPhone 4S her iPhone 3GS was running quite happily with iOS 5. Apple have actually done a pretty good job there...[/citation]

I don't think that's what's he meant. If he meant hardware upgrade...hell NO PHONE EVER GETS UPGRADED. Please name me one phone which has been upgraded HARDWARE WISE (Ram, CPU, GPU)???? It's pretty clear he meant software upgrade, which is totally BS because Androids are getting upgrades pretty frequently and the ICS has been confirmed for many top of the line phones and almost on all the Samsung Galaxy tab range.

So much for his "statistic".

G

You guys have to help me here. I usually don't follow those discussions too much. I do know that Android 4 (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) was published by Google around October 2011. They even say that Android 5 release should be very soon. I also know that soon after the release many phone and tablet manufacture have said, that they will provide updated to their products for ICS, like for example Samsung as darkavenger123 has mentioned in his post.
How many of those updates to ICS for phones and tablets have been actually released?
I think there are some freshly released hardware since last October that is shipping with Android 4. But how many of the pre ICS-release date shipped phones and tablets are actually been provided with an applicable ICS update?

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
tabletuser123 a few, nexus S , some HTC's and i think sony may have 1 or 2 but not sure about that. No one is realy breaking a leg adapting software to older phone, since people will buy new ones to exchange them and get the newer more shinier version.

G

There not worried about pimping out their OS to lower spec phones which will degraded the WP experience. This all seems to be going the route of WM6. Might be time to rethink my next phone choice.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
My Android, the Samsung Transform, had an update from 2.2 or so to 2.3 so Androids obviously get updates. I don't have an iPhone so i can't confirm that and I wouldn't put it past Apple, but that is a pretty big accusation there, even for Apple.

Furthermore, I have a friend who upgraded their Android from 2.2 to 3.0, some HTC or whatever.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't WP6.x phones upgradeable to WP7?

G

I would appreciated if Microsoft can continue the updating policy that it has shown so far.
I choose windows only because they are upgradable and stay current and effective.
Upgrades are necessary and important.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]My Android, the Samsung Transform, had an update from 2.2 or so to 2.3 so Androids obviously get updates. I don't have an iPhone so i can't confirm that and I wouldn't put it past Apple, but that is a pretty big accusation there, even for Apple.Furthermore, I have a friend who upgraded their Android from 2.2 to 3.0, some HTC or whatever.Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't WP6.x phones upgradeable to WP7?[/citation]

Windows Mobile 6.x and Windows Phone 7.x are two different OS's. Saying one upgrades to the other is like saying Android 2.3 upgrades to iOS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.