Windows Phone 8 "Apollo" Supports Multi-Core, NFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
"multi-core SoC support"

Cool, we already have had this in Android and iOS and now microsoft may have a chance of catching up.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Windows Phone 8 is going to be AWESOME!!![/citation]
Maybe when compared to WP7. It's how it compares to iOS and Android that matters. Even if it is better, it won't matter if nobody buys phones using it (like what happened in the old VHS vs. Betamax war).

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
If it was not for the ridiculous prices and requirement for a data plan I would be all over a win7 phone. They are great, simple, fast, and all without sacrificing too much in the way of customization and flexibility. As it is now though I just signed a 2 year contract on my new dumb-phone, so I guess I'll be sitting out until phone 8.5 or 9. But at least phones are getting somewhere, and hopefully after my contract is up I will be able to get a phone that does what I want it to: Hold all my documents and programs, and have it take utilize any hardware that I plug it into (or wirelessly connect it to). It would simplify life so much to just have everything in once place (backed up elsewhere of course), and to simply attach to whatever hardware is needed for specific programs (My PC for video editing or gaming, a audio interface for recording, the HTPC for movies and such, etc).... It's a good dream

rakesh_toms

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
For whoever who said windows phone 8 is awesome, dont you see it is just catching up tp what android is already offering in terms of NFC, micro SD, multicore SOC etc. When majority of the smart phone users get cozy with their gmail and google eco system, who is gonna switch to hotmail and windows live??

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is definitely one of those times when waiting to see how these devices work in the real world is the way to go. Windows Phones have really failed to live up to the hype up to now.

G

I fail to see how they failed to live up to the hype - I am one who switch from a iPhone to windows phone 7.5 and I am very happy. Yes, the lack of sales is a bit bothersome but it not because of the phone it's self. I believe it is all the negative perception the trolls give it that have never even tried to use it. If a single core device can out perform a dual / quad core device why would you bash it for being single core. It performs and that is what counts.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Im willing to put my life savings on the line that the next version after WP8 (8.1 or 8.5 or whatever) will start with the letter H... Halo perhaps :)
M ango... count 7 letters
T ango... count another 7 (yes it loops)
A pollo... hhmmm, will they keep the pattern? I am betting they will. Halo has a nice ring to it anyway.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Im willing to put my life savings on the line that the next version after WP8 (8.1 or 8.5 or whatever) will start with the letter H... Halo perhaps :)M ango... count 7 lettersT ango... count another 7 (yes it loops)A pollo... hhmmm, will they keep the pattern? I am betting they will. Halo has a nice ring to it anyway.[/citation]

How the heck did you figure that out?

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]How the heck did you figure that out?[/citation]
This is the kind of mental state I need to be in when my idiot manager keeps distracting me from my work.

I really should get some work done but Toms helps me stay happy ;-)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
But can it run Crysis? No, seriously, can it? I wouldn't mind not having a Desktop PC any longer and just working off of my mobile phone in a sort of Webtop environment and docking station AND still be able to play games and run all of the other apps I love to use.

Maybe I'll just get my upgrade now, then there might be a usable product in 2 years.

G

Clever observation, but you've left out Nodo. From N odo to M ango represents a step of 26 letters. If there is any validity to your model, one might consider that WP 8 might start with an i rather than an h. It is an *8* after all. If that's the case, perhaps Iago, Indio, Imbrolio, or even Impetigo. I'm inclined to believe that MS would be reluctant to use a disease as a name, but it beats the hell out of Ice Cream Sandwich. In short, I'd hold on to the paycheck for a while longer. It's a weird world where mobile electronics is concerned.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well windows phone can be really important corporate persons, and what I have read even win7 phones has been very snap and easy to use... So if win8 phone is any better, it is ok.
Apple is apple in good and bad (easy to use, very limited enviroment, luxury price)
Android phones are for those who likes power or freedom (like linux users). A lot of customization (good and bad)
Win phones are for those who need tools for centrall settings and "familiar" name and big company to offer support! (and allso pay the price in phone prices that are relative high)

Status
Not open for further replies.