windows to hdmi to optical no surround option

Fullbasher

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
So basically ive been going all over the internet and cant find a solution to this. basically i have an hdmi out from my windows 8 computer to a passthrough/converter box which then goes to a mixer where audio is upconverted from 5.1 to 7.1 and goes to my headset. my problem is i need to force the computer to outputting 5.1 through the hdmi and i dont know how.

Solution
there are far simpler ways to get what you want.

if you're using a stereo headset and want 7.1 then just use virtual surround from a soundcard. dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx would work fine.

if you're using a true 5.1 or 7.1 headset with the appropriate multiple 3.5mm plugs then using a soundcard with 5.1/7.1 capability is also the best solution.

why doesnt your hdmi->optical->mixer->headphones work? likely because your pc is not recognizing the destination as a 5.1 capable device. as far as forcing the output to 5.1 if the option is greyed out? besides writing custom drivers or using modified drivers someone else made.. i would say no. you could try to shorten the chain of devices to see which is causing the issue with your pc but...
there are far simpler ways to get what you want.

if you're using a stereo headset and want 7.1 then just use virtual surround from a soundcard. dolby headphone or cmss3d/sbx would work fine.

if you're using a true 5.1 or 7.1 headset with the appropriate multiple 3.5mm plugs then using a soundcard with 5.1/7.1 capability is also the best solution.

why doesnt your hdmi->optical->mixer->headphones work? likely because your pc is not recognizing the destination as a 5.1 capable device. as far as forcing the output to 5.1 if the option is greyed out? besides writing custom drivers or using modified drivers someone else made.. i would say no. you could try to shorten the chain of devices to see which is causing the issue with your pc but other than that i dont think theres a fix.

Solution