windows treating 4.1 surround setup as 2.1

Benson9a

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Hi everyone,
I recently setup a new surround system for my win 8 PC using a creative sound blaster z, hooked up with optical to a Yamaha RX-V375, and 4 Pioneer SP-BS22LR's, and a massive cambridge soundworks sub. After plugging them all in correctly, I only get 2.1 sound. The sub, fronts and backs all play but not as a surround configuration. In the creative driver if I click the rear speakers the fronts and backs play. This also happens using optical in the realtek manager. In the windows sound manager it says they are 2 channel, but I don't know how to change it.

Solution
Since you are feeding the Yamaha digital audio it will indicate on the front panel what your PC is actually feeding it. Assuming that your receiver is configured correctly play a known 5.1 channel source and check the receiver. If it show 5.1 channels you must still select the correct sound mode on the receiver.
I would play a test DVD to check this. Otherwise pick a spot in the movie that you know uses the rears. You can also connect a dvd player to the receiver directly to see if settings there are OK.
By the way you really should get a center speaker.
Since you are feeding the Yamaha digital audio it will indicate on the front panel what your PC is actually feeding it. Assuming that your receiver is configured correctly play a known 5.1 channel source and check the receiver. If it show 5.1 channels you must still select the correct sound mode on the receiver.
I would play a test DVD to check this. Otherwise pick a spot in the movie that you know uses the rears. You can also connect a dvd player to the receiver directly to see if settings there are OK.
By the way you really should get a center speaker.

Solution