Windows Vista monitor goes dead(black screen) AFTER hooking up HDMI cable

D-Dee-M

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015
I know very little about computers and wondering if anyone has the correct an answer to my problem.
I'm running a Windows Vista laptop and I have been using my tv as mirrored image for the last couple of months. ~No problems. But just recently when I power up the laptop while I still have the HMDI cables in, my screen goes blank and the computer won't accept any commands, can't do anything. I'll unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop restart and power up again everything goes back to normal UNTIL I plug the cable in, goes black again. I've tried the fn+f4 thing and nothing just a dead blank computer until I do the process over.
Anyone with an answer I thank you ahead of time???

D-Dee-M

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015
It says "Check signal cable" before I plug it in and "No signal" after I do then after a second or two my laptop will go blank and can't type in any commands. It's just dead.
Have to restart the laptop in order for it to work again with the Hdmi unplugged and as soon as I plug it back in the same things happens again.

Possibly a bad HDMI port, or even a faulty board (worst case). The TV seems to be recognizing you have a device connected (otherwise it would still say "check signal cable"), but if the laptop is hanging when trying to drive the screen, that sounds to me like hardware fault.

Is there a reason you downvoted my previous reply?

D-Dee-M

Estimable
Nov 10, 2015
As mentioned, I'm not bright when it comes to computers. Lol
I clicked on the downvote by mistake, and don't even know what that meant. First time using this site and was trying to figure out how to reply. I appreciate the comments

Haha, no worries. Just checking.

Any progress with this?

TRENDING THREADS