Windows vs Linux - Safety - any real difference ?

ricky2014

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,

Often said desktop Linux is a much safer sysytem vs Windows, but having looked and read many recent posts and articles etc I really begin to wonder if there is any real benefit in moving to Linux.

If you take out the human error factor of being careless with what you download/phish etc I have not read anything that convinces me Linux is safer, indeed some articles suggest Linux is prone to more attacks.

Not wanting to open a whole debate on the subject, but would be interested if anyone could give any qualified reasons moving to Linux is so much safer ?

thanks

Solution
Windows is a larger target, attracting more attacks.
Windows generally have more services running by default, increasing the attack surface.
Linux generally has a more clued in user base, less likely to do stupid things.

Both platforms can get attacked.
The best protection lies between your ears.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Windows is a larger target, attracting more attacks.
Windows generally have more services running by default, increasing the attack surface.
Linux generally has a more clued in user base, less likely to do stupid things.

Both platforms can get attacked.
The best protection lies between your ears.

Solution

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Linux is free.
Just as vulnerable as Windows, if the user is dumb.
Pay attention to what you wanna do, it is very possible, that you can not find the needed software in Linux, if need certain software....especially AAA games.

Linux is still more secure than Windows in myopinions.....reasons:
1. Linux users in general tend to know better on what they are doing than normal Windows users.
2. Linux has a lot less users, in numbers, thus less attractive for hackers/attackers.

Callum Clarke

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Less market share = less viruses. Me saying that though, even Mac OS X users don't really have to worry about getting a virus. Unix in itself is very secure but as other people have said, Linux is still vulnerable. The chances are still low though, just watch what you are doing and you will be fine. No need to install an anti virus or whatever, unless you want to be that extra safe.