Windows Won't Display After Sleep

lilith002

Great
May 21, 2018
I have a month old MSI GS65 Stealth Pro which is operating fine with the exception of the display (and an increasing creaky noise making clear the laptop's poorly fitted housing). Sometimes when waking from sleep, the display will show the MSI load screen but afterwards the display will go black and Windows will not appear. The backlit keyboard and other lights will illuminate as if the system is working properly, just no display of Windows.

This not only happens when the lid is open, but also when it has been closed and reopened, and seems to be increasing in frequency. When Window's does display, I see the MSI load screen and then a second or two of a pink screen before Windows displays.

I don't think this is a power setting issue and even if it were, altering the power settings only prevents the laptop from falling asleep; per my understanding; yet it isn't an actual fix of the problem itself which will reoccur when I close the lid. I could be wrong.

There is a BIOS update with a fix stated as "Display Stability" (strong chance this is also the obvious solution) and so I thought that while I figure out how to flash the BIOS on the MSI GS65, I would ask if anyone had experienced a BIOS update solving the issue as described? And if not, are there other solutions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

Tasks Performed: Flashed BIOS and updated NVIDIA Graphics Driver to most current version

*Used NVIDIA GEFORCE Experience to perform GPU driver update. The driver offered there was more up to date than the driver offered on MSI's website.

Results: Pending prolonged test period but results are promising. I have restarted and put the laptop to sleep several times without the described issue occurring. Display is far more responsive and laptop overall is operating faster (laptop performed well before updates without issue).

At wake up and start up, I will see the MSI load screen and then sometimes a very quick flash of a pink screen before the Windows sign-in appears.

Prognosis: Continue to monitor

lilith002

Great
May 21, 2018

In the course of a year and a quarter, I have purchased and returned a Dell Ispiron, two Dell XPS, an HP Omen, and the MSI GS65 I have now is actually a replacement for the first unit I purchased. I also had a failed computer build so I'm a bit tired of dealing with manufacturers to be honest.

I agree though if the issue is just a BIOS update the manufacturer can't keep that updated once the unit has been shipped to stores for sale.