WinZip vs. 7-Zip on Windows 10 64-bit

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I have been a long time WinZip user but over the years I've noticed that although the main function of the program (i.e. to zip and unzip files) remains the same, WinZip keeps adding functionality to their program which some would call bloat. Today, I received yet another notice from WinZip announcing WinZip 20 which again seems to be more bloat and I'm contemplating getting off the upgrade treadmill.. So, is there anyone out there that can provide me with an honest comparison of 7-Zip against WinZip running on a Windows 10 64-bit machine? In addition if there's anyone that can provide me with any info on the beta (i.e. features, potential release dates for a GA version, etc.) then that would be helpful as well.

My primary concern is that WinZip keeps asking me to purchase upgrade protection and it seems to me that what I'm getting in the upgrades is not adding functionality that I need. My need is to zip and unzip files and folders and sometimes create a password protected zip file and if 7-Zip can do everything that WinZip can do in that regard then I may either keep my copy of WinZip 19 or switch to 7-Zip if someone can give me a reason to do so. Since there is a beta though, I would like to know more about that if someone has any details. Thanks.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You usually don't want to got with the beta of 7-zip. It'll cause problems that you don't need.

If all you need is the basic functionality that you explained, 7-zip seems like a good choice for you. It's lightweight and fast with little bloat. Of course, it can do the basic things like create password protected archives and compress files. The 7z file format has a very good compression ratio.

Of course, there's also WinRar as well. It's a bit heavier than 7-zip but nothing like WinZip. It's very stable and reliable. It does cost money though.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
I use 7-zip on windows 10 and I have absolutely no problems to report thus far. I used to use winrar but I too got annoyed with it always asking me to buy it. I find 7-zip to be just as good and its free.

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Several months back I uninstalled the bloatware called WinZip and installed 7-Zip in it's place. I still get email from the WinZip folks advertising their latest bloatware edition of WinZip but 7-Zip so far has met all of my needs and is very small and compact by comparison.

Travis_72

Prominent
May 24, 2017

You don't need to ever use the interface though. That's what I like about WinRAR. It's free, but not free, as long as you use only the context menu instead of the interface. It'll never ever bother you if you use the context menu.

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Thought I would update this post....... Back in August of 2016 I removed WinZip from my system and installed 7-zip in it's place and since that time I have not regretted doing so. For my needs all I need to do is be able to zip and unzip a few things on a periodic basis and didn't need the bloatware that WinZip was trying to promote as an enhancement. Save your money and skip the bloatware.