Solved! Wiping out files when restoring system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint_11

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I have a laptop Gateway NE56R41u with Windows 10. I did a system restore on it and it wiped out most of the files I had in my Pictures, Music, Documents, and Downloads folders . Could they have been moved somewhere else

Solution
When you do a restore, and it isn't just restoring to a specific point but completely restoring the computer to its factory settings, it would wipe your stuff. There is no guarantee of getting the files back, but you can try programs for restoring data and see if they work.

There is one called RECUVA, that I have heard is free, which you could try. There are others, but many are pay or free trials only. A search for data recovery software should get your more options though.
When you do a restore, and it isn't just restoring to a specific point but completely restoring the computer to its factory settings, it would wipe your stuff. There is no guarantee of getting the files back, but you can try programs for restoring data and see if they work.

There is one called RECUVA, that I have heard is free, which you could try. There are others, but many are pay or free trials only. A search for data recovery software should get your more options though.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.