Wireless Gaming Headset Recommendations

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hello everyone,

So it is time to retire my old set of wired headphones.

I'm unfamiliar with the wireless headphones market so i'm turning here for advice as i always do!

Will i be bitterly disappointed with the sound quality from wired to wireless, as i have used wired headphones my whole life, or has the technology gotten better?

I know the price jump between the two will be significant, but i'll leave that aside for now.

Can someone recommend a quality set of wireless headphones that aren't a real pain to keep charged and sound great?

Thanks as always!

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Wireless sound is comparable to wired, depending on the cans of course. It's certainly not bad but obviously you will find better sounding cans for similar price. The only real downside from wireless headphones is that they have a bit of latency and you have to worry about charging them. You did not list what headphones you had before so there is nothing to compare the quality to.

Are you looking for a gaming headset or just headphones? Headset wise, the Astro A50s are very popular as they have virtual surround (with Astro Mix amp) and the sound quality is actually pretty good. However, there are complaints that the ear cup is a bit poorly designer quality wise. Also, the G930s are pretty good as well but between the two id choose the A50s.

I am going to highly suggest to you that you stay with wired headphones. Quality wise, you are hard pressed to do better than a set of AKG Q701s and a Modmic for precise and clear listening. They have huge drivers and a large soundstage that has the best positional accuracy I've heard in a pair of cans. I tried many pairs before stopping at the AKGs, im very picky about my headphones. Of course, im sure you have your reasons to go wireless but just know that you could be missing out.

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the thorough reply ferwindjacks!

My current set is the SteelSeries Siberia v2, so sound quality is mid-ranged.
I use them strictly for gaming and chatting, or the occasional music session while browsing or working.

The main reason I am even considering wireless headphones is to keep the desk from getting too cluttered with wires, and having a wire draped across my lap gets annoying sometimes.

If the price vs quality really isn't there yet, I may keep to a wired headset, and find a better cable management solution.
But I've been out of the headphone market so long, I've become uninformed!

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Tried the steelseries, ended up not liking the closed design of the Siberias.

I'm not saying there are no quality wireless headsets, I'm just saying your only real bet for good quality is Astros. There are other options if you don't want a mic attached though.

If you choose to go wired, look into the setup I detailed before. If you don't want to bother with getting a separate mic, I'd go with the Sennheiser PC363D/G4ME ONE or the BPHS1. A lot of it depends on personal choice (type of sound you want). I own a pair of the Senn. PC360s and find myself going back to my AKGs continuously though.