Woman Arrested: Craigslist Ad Targeting Teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
How about some kind of charge for trying to run a brothel, or something in regards to trying to sell a minor for sex, or something like that.

What a piece of trash that woman is for doing this. It's to bad 40 year old 'adults' can't actually act like adults in today's age.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Good. The punishment should be much harsher though. 25 years without parol would set a nice example.

The problem with USA is punishments arent harsh enough.

Drinking and driveing should be death penalty, and theft should be get hands cut off.

Downloading movies/songs should be legal. What if the Riaa owned the government when radio was invented.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Although what's wrong might seem pretty obvious in some cases, it really needs a lot of deep thought to draw a line, freedom of speech, practical jokes, stolen identities, made up identities...
Until enough experience is gained it might be wiser to just let common sense decide.
Just hope that the jury can meditate deep enough.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I agree that what Thrasher has done is horrible, but how in the hell do you ban someone from the internet. She can just use anyone's computer.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If this case passes through unpunished, it will go as an example to others, faking identities is a big no no! but then it could be pushed up to always using your real credentials for whatever you do online (good for anti spam, but bad for personal safety)...

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks to [law] the Missouri legislature passed in regards to the MySpace cyberbullying incident...
"law" is missing in the article, but I assume that's what it should saw.
Her attorney, Michael Kielty, said ... "It may be in poor taste. It may be inappropriate, but it's not criminal behavior,"
Time to get a new attorney. Apparently, Mr Kielty fails to understand that when something is against the law, it is by definition criminal behavior. He can argue that the law is invalid, inappropriate, or unjust, and that it shouldn't be criminal behavior, but at this time it is a crime in Missouri.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
This 'case' had consequences on the minor enough for suspicion and calling the cops, but consequences can be as little as someone laughing a bit at your back when you walk by, and you might never notice, or even if you might think you've done something (bad hair :p) and live your life as always just because you haven't checked craiglist that day (or never).

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
And this does not even need to be a faked identity case, just somebody spreading lies on their personal blog that you don't care to read, but that affects you in more than one way.

G

Death for drinking and driving and choped off hands is what uncivilized countries do.

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks four years is a little excessive? She did something illegal and deserves to be punished, but four years in prison? Really? I say give her a much larger fine, 5 years probation. and put her on the sex offender's list.

G

I suppose then speeding or running a stop sign by mistake makes you a criminal too. "By definition" doesn't not make it reasonable. Use common sense people, think for yourself. Criminal behavior is subjective and argueable that's why there are lawyers. DUH!! Laws get amended after certain incident in which the courts find the law to be wrong.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Posting an add that can be determinantal to a young teen = 5000 Dollars

Downloading 24 songs = 1.92 million Dollars

American Justice System = Priceless

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
In doubts and times like these I wish there were an allknowing force to judge malevolence and punish accordingly, but fact is the world is here and now and not fair and all we can do is fight to make it fairer. I know StarTrek has already said that alot, but they were smart people saying that via the mouths of StarTrek characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.