Woman Arrested for Filming Twilight; Sues Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I really don't think she has a case here...maybe she'll meet Lindsay Lohan in prison, and the guards can film their favorite actress getting her shirt taken off...

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm glad the police in Aus don't take advice from outside associations.

Bloody hell, next up we will read about people getting arrested then the cops asking how much the MPAA would like to sue them for, for watching something on a TV in a shop window.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I guess the burnouts the women are doing in their seats isn't enough. Seems like some want to continue the experience at home. She was probably only going to put that footage in her spank bank.

G

even the mpaa recommended she be let go. that manager is a pos and hell yea i hope she wins. 50k isn't that much money. and to have a felony arrest on your record for over 10 years id freakin sue as well. so if you think she is a money grabber, why dont you go get a felony and try to get a job anywhere worth while bro.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The amazing thing here was that the MPAA didn't want her arrested/sued/publicly humiliated/beaten/etc.

I think the manager was a bit zealous. If she had recorded large parts of the movie I might understand because of the reward but 193 seconds...lame.

The greatest mystery is why people continue to record movies in theaters with their cell phone....all it does is look and sound like utter crap and pisses off the other movie goers who see your obvious glow.

I don't think this girl's case will go anywhere. In the end she did break the law and the manager has the right to press charges. I am not sure what she is trying to accomplish with all this unless she wants herself to look like even more of loser than being arrested for filming a Twilight movie. Her case will be dismissed. Although I feel jail is too tough for this, it is a felony.

Whether her case wins or loses, the lawyer will walk away with the dough.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
The MPAA is after the real pirates - the ones who's intention is criminal to copy and make a lot of money off selling them - not some punter who makes a cellphone camera copy of something she will be able to buy as a dvd in a few months

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Meant to add - it was dumb of the theatre manager to pursue (but well within the law) but equally stupid of the woman to sue. She has actually done wrong and last time I checked criminals were not alloowed to sue because of the emotional distress they are subjected to when they are arrested. Only in the USA - the rest of the world simply cannot believe how this stuff is allowed to happen.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
For all you meat heads who keep beating the tired drum of "Its Illegal" here is some things for you to chew on.

Alcohol used to be illegal, Black people drinking from the same water fountain as whites used to be illegal, and in some countries you can take your daughter out in the back yard and shoot her in the head if you feel she dishonored your family.

My point? NOT ALL LAWS MAKE SENSE. This is not what copyrights were made for. They were made to prevent people from profiting from another person's work.

How about you guys head over to the US copyright Office's website and read up on Fair Use Laws.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
How can the manager sue? She didn't harm or do anything bad to his theater. She didn't steal popcorn, break something in the bathroom, throw something at someone, etc. Its not the managers movie. If the "owners" of the movie, MPAA, say to let her go, why does the manager get to say no? He owns the theater, not the movie.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Stevemeister[/nom]Meant to add - it was dumb of the theatre manager to pursue (but well within the law) but equally stupid of the woman to sue. She has actually done wrong and last time I checked criminals were not alloowed to sue because of the emotional distress they are subjected to when they are arrested. Only in the USA - the rest of the world simply cannot believe how this stuff is allowed to happen.[/citation]

It is because her crimal charge has been dismissed. Don't know why and really don't care.

IMO, something really wrong with our legal system.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I really don't think she has a case here...maybe she'll meet Lindsay Lohan in prison, and the guards can film their favorite actress getting her shirt taken off...[/citation]

It's called silent mode? When was the last time you turned your phone off in a cinema?

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I don't get why anyone has to make a big deal of a cell phone flic. Since it was only random scenes, she obviously wasn't going to sell it or even p2p. That manager should loose his job for this BS.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alextheawesome[/nom]Whatever happened to "please turn off all cell phones and pagers"?[/citation]

Woops cited the wrong post! durrr

Status
Not open for further replies.