Woman Fired for Using ALL CAPS in Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Somehow I doubt she was fired for merely using caps to explain how to correctly fill out a form. I suspect we are all quite familiar with the person who comes across as a real a-hole in their email messages (usually in person too, for that matter). Anyway, there's something to be said for being polite in the workplace, even if you can't stand the person you're communicating with.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

It sounds like she was using the capitals, bold, and red font to emphasize important parts of the email. I know that's what grabs my attention in the endless stream of worthless business emails I receive daily.

Now if it were something like "DONUTS IN THE KITCHEN, GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST!!!", that would be a different story.

dbzpic1

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS CAN BE AN ISSUE IN THE WORKPLACE WITH ANYONE. IF ANYTHING, IT IS EASIER TO READ CAPITAL LETTERS. I ALSO ENJOY DEFFERENT COLORS BECAUSE IT MAKES IT SPICIER TO READ. I WISH MORE PLACES WOULD USE ALL CAPS. ESPECIALLY ON FORUMS.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if they have a statute in New Zealand like they do here in California where you employed at will and can be fired for any reason (according to most applications or offer acceptance letters). But it sounds like she was fired unreasonably. We will never know the full story I suspect.

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Well I don't know abut the all caps thing, but I also like a little color in my mail. Sounds like they just didn't like her, and that is not a reason to fire someone. We all have a right to be an ASSHOLE sometimes. :)

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It's "capital" not "capitol" btw. You're likely getting confused by "Capitol Hill" since capitol means a building housing legislative assembly (although I don't think it is used much in modern English or American English).

Does this now mean that Best of Media will now fire you too?

pmt82

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
I wonder if they have a statute in New Zealand like they do here in California where you employed at will and can be fired for any reason (according to most applications or offer acceptance letters). But it sounds like she was fired unreasonably. We will never know the full story I suspect.

At the start of employment in New Zealand there is a new law that allows the employer to "let go" a new employee within 3 months I believe. After this trial period you need to be warned before being fired. Unless of course it’s a major offence which this clearly is not.

As jellico said above, she probably pissed of the wrong people who were looking for any excuse they could to get rid of her.

G

She was fired for sending "confrontational" emails that were highlighted by the aforementioned techniques. And her plan now is to do what? Lodge and appeal of further compensation? And she thinks what? "I have spent thousands defending myself and there are so many issues that are unresolved that I want to take them up on."

Sounds like the terms for dismissal were spot on. Unfortunately, while I'm sure the company hopes to not ever see her again, it appears she just won't leave them alone.

MotionMan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Sounds like she was communicating well - I'm guessing something else may be going on here (did she talk to her coworkers in the same way she emailed?)

On the other hand - I just can't understand why some people always write in all caps. All caps is harder to read than normal upper/lower case.

MotionMan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Sounds like she was communicating well - I'm guessing something else may be going on here (did she talk to her coworkers in the same way she emailed?)

On the other hand - I just can't understand why some people always write in all caps. All caps is harder to read than normal upper/lower case.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!It sounds like she was using the capitals, bold, and red font to emphasize important parts of the email. I know that's what grabs my attention in the endless stream of worthless business emails I receive daily.Now if it were something like "DONUTS IN THE KITCHEN, GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST!!!", that would be a different story.[/citation]

donuts?!?!?! WHERE!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.