Woman Found 43 Times on Google Street View

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I agree with rdawise. There is no privacy in public. Perfect example is if you're having sex in public then you're being far from discreet about it.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
so they went to a newspaper with the story ... I guess they were not concerned about their privacy ... not even an interesting story ... just maybe for the fact that the google folks were too stupid to stop for a few minutes and let her walk away ...

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]thebloodysun[/nom]and again Tom is using the sun as a reliable news source...[/citation]
You're saying The Sun isnt reliable?!

/sarcasm

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Privacy? The person is walking around in a public place. Hint: People can see you! That and she saw that the thing had a big camera on it, so its not like its secretly photographing anyone.

todd_dfw

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
sooooo if they are concerned about appearing on the internet why are they not complaining about the Sun having a close up her????

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Apparently only if you go outdoors while there's some car with a big old gigantic camera mounted high atop it creeping through your neighbourhood, then proceed to walk beside it while ignoring the police car following it...[/citation]

Now why didn't she saw it coming (sarcasm)
(Oh wait, she's just slow.)

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Apparently only if you go outdoors while there's some car with a big old gigantic camera mounted high atop it creeping through your neighborhood, then proceed to walk beside it while ignoring the police car following it...[/citation]

Why would there be a police car following it? When I saw the google car, there were no police around it.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]esperen[/nom]And.. who gives a crap? "In tomorrow's news, some guy in nevada has picture taken 76 times (and in one he is scratching his butt)."[/citation]
lol

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
ive seen the van in seattle a while back. Its just a white van with no markings and no police esscort.the camera looks like a small dome,its not big at all. FYI

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Naturally Google performed its privacy duties by blurring out her face, however now she's been exposed to the world thanks to The Sun.

They did not blur out Trixie the dog's face. Yet no one cries for her. Jerks.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I agree that there is no privacy in public to a point. Its a different matter being recorded on the street than in a private business (i.e. bank). Of course government building also have security cameras (libraries, police stations, etc).

But you do realize that the government will eventually install cameras in most public places (and they have in many cities). Eventually this could and probably will lead to cameras on all residential streets. You may say that "I have nothing to hide so I don't care", but I personally don't want my every move to be monitored.

My only hope is that there just won't be enough manpower to monitor all of the data (until our AI programming gets better anyways).

On a positive note, during the Vancouver olympics hundreds of public security cameras were installed and monitored by police. After the games were finished, the police requested that the cameras be left in place, but the mayor refused (citing citizen privacy concerns) and the cameras were taken down. For once a politician actually cares more about the people than increasing government control.

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I'm ok with banks video taping me. But if the bank then posted that video on the internet, I'd be pretty uncomfortable about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.