Worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash7772

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on this Notebook. My son is heading to college this fall and wants a all around computer on a budget (I know who doesn't). He does the normal e-mail, web browsing, pics, gaming, etc... I have heard good and bad about Acer products so that is my biggest concern at this point. Is this worth the money? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have another suggestion in this price range please let me know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314016

Solution
Wanted to add, I personally wanted to get an MSI GT60 for college (Even considered GT70) but they're like 10lbs each on top of 20-30 lbs of books.

If your son could wait until August then Haswell will be coming out (new generation of Processors) and from rumors I've heard that the new Integrated graphics will be equivalent to that of a GT650m (Superior to GT 730m).

If this is true then it will mean a TREMENDOUS drop in price of last generation gpu's, etc. Your son might even be able to get an I7 equipped laptop/tablet with superior graphics to a GT 730m for around $600-$700 in a couple months.

It's mostly speculation but I would wait if I were you (I'm waiting until August, plus we have like 6 computers at my house.......)

Crash...

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Wow GT 730m! I didn't know the 7xx series was out yet!
It seems like a great laptop but the only thing I don't like about it is the HD resolution (1366x768)

We have a 3 year old Pentium Acer with HD+ (1600x900) resolution that cost us about $400 at the time. It's definitely a good brand! Very sturdy laptops and the model that we have has carbon fiber wrap which is pretty neat.

Personally I'd go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312434 if your son likes the 1366x768 resolution. This has dual graphics around GT 640m LE performance and it's $150 less.

Check out http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com

Crash7772

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I've been shopping around for the last few days but it seems the components in this are much better than anything else I have seen in this price range. I was looking at this previously ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216035 ) but is out of stock and benchmark testing is lower on CPU and Video card vs the ACER. I'm not scared of ACER (it does seem to be a love it or hate it deal) but I'm not buying this just giving advice to my son. I would like to see him get something that will last a while. I did see the ACER was only upgradeable to 8gb Ram vs 16gb on the Toshiba, but figure 8gb DDR3 RAM would be plenty for the years to come.

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Wanted to add, I personally wanted to get an MSI GT60 for college (Even considered GT70) but they're like 10lbs each on top of 20-30 lbs of books.

If your son could wait until August then Haswell will be coming out (new generation of Processors) and from rumors I've heard that the new Integrated graphics will be equivalent to that of a GT650m (Superior to GT 730m).

If this is true then it will mean a TREMENDOUS drop in price of last generation gpu's, etc. Your son might even be able to get an I7 equipped laptop/tablet with superior graphics to a GT 730m for around $600-$700 in a couple months.

It's mostly speculation but I would wait if I were you (I'm waiting until August, plus we have like 6 computers at my house.......)

Crash, the Lenovo that I posted earlier is superior to the Toshiba in terms of gaming due to dual graphics. OP suggested that his son isn't doing any CPU intensive work on the laptop so an A8 should suffice for simpler tasks and the dual graphics are more future proof especially at HD resolution (High settings 2-3 years)

Solution

captgarrett

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The problem here isn't the speed of the laptop, it's the high repair rates of Acer laptops. The only series they make that is any good is the Timeline series.

If you get it, put some kind of warranty on it.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

Yea i'd get a new one for him but this isn't the best deal. You can find laptops with the same cpu for $450-500. Although they don't have the gt 730. Is the graphics card worth $150? I don't think so. Its not even that good, only a little bit better than the integrated graphics. So I take back what I said earlier.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Just throwing out there... one option might be a used netbook and an SSD.

It wouldn't have the gaming horsepower (though depending on the CPU should handle flash games just fine), but it would outstrip by FAR anything in the price range for general productivity, and would be lightweight and easy to carry.

That's the route I went with last year when I started college... but then again, I also have a gaming desktop in my dorm.

Crash7772

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I know more than the average computer user but don't consider myself a Pro by any means (which is why I am here). The GT730M is based off the GeForce GT 645M which I thought was a pretty stout video card. I stumbled across this site doing some research but narrowed down a few models and figured it was time to get some added input. Maybe I need to do some more home work. I really appreciate all the input from everyone, and "seriousgamer" I have been trying to get him to hold off till this fall but it's not easy getting that through to him. I'm going to load his L305 up with G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBSQ in hopes it will perform slightly better than now and make him wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.