Would appreciate help picking out a new camera

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
My wife and I are in need of a new camera. Right now, we have a Canon Powershot A590 IS, but it's starting to show it's age, both technically and physically. We want one pretty similar to it, definitely Canon, but a newer model with better specs and whatnot. It needs to have manual modes as well as automatic modes and as many "special" modes as possible, like fireworks, indoor/outdoor, night, etc. Good video recording is a huge plus. Would really like for it to have a timer, and a flash that is easily forced on/off. Other than that, I would prefer for it to have actual buttons, not just touchscreen, but I'm a little flexible on that one. Rechargeable battery would be a plus, but not a necessity.

I'm hoping to not pay more than $200, here's one I'm considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120456&cm_re=canon_is-_-30-120-456-_-Product

Can't tell if it has a timer or not. Also, it seems to have a LOT less special modes than our current model, which is odd, unless they just didn't list all of them. Also doesn't have a rechargeable battery, but that's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Solution

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830244064

I am actually on a budget too. Check this one out for 130 bucks. My wife wants an SLR style camera for Christmas. I would love to get her like a canon or nikon, but can't afford those:(. However I was in kmart today and found this one for 150, so a better deal on newegg. Some of the reviews I've read say it's got features found on Canons and Nikons running 300 bucks. It looks good, but I'm not a big camera guy. But I know it's 14.1 megapixel, and 15x zoom, I think you can adjust shutter speeds, do red eye removal on the camera, it's supposed to be quite a lot it does. No rechargeable, takes 4 AA's, but for that price go to walmart and grab a set of rechargeable AA's, problem solved.

But I cannot speak as to how good the ge camera is, as it won't be used till december 25th. However, knowing what she wants, and I saw the price tags, I couldn't pass it up.