Would this laptop work for...

Jpudify

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015
Would this laptop work well with the Elgato Game Capture HD?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232600

Elgato requirements:
PC: Windows 7 SP1 (or later), 4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (or comparable)
Stream Command: 2nd generation Intel Core i7 CPU (i7-2xxx or comparable) Windows 7 or later

I'm mostly worried whether the 5500U (ultra low voltage) will be able to last for at least 5 years.

Thoughts?

Solution
Depends on the cooler on the laptop (some vendors stuff them in things where they have a very minimal heat sink), but the 5500U is a very low-heat CPU and ASUS usually does pretty well with cooling.

5 years - well, my first gen i5 laptop is still quite usable 5 years later. It would depend which generation i3 you are upgrading from.

However, if you are planning on playing games and capturing footage at the same time, that is not at all the laptop for you.
Hi,

Yes that should work based from the device system requirements. About the life span of your laptop or graphics card it will always depend on how you'll use your laptop and how you'll take care of it. Proper maintenance (cleaning, applying new thermal paste, proper charging) should make your laptop last longer than you expect.

Jpudify

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015

Any idea if there are known issues with the 5500U, like overheating, for example? Would this processor be that much of an upgrade from a dual core i3 if the hard drive speeds are the same (5400 rpm).
I tend to be a neat freak about my laptops so it should be okay. :)

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
Depends on the cooler on the laptop (some vendors stuff them in things where they have a very minimal heat sink), but the 5500U is a very low-heat CPU and ASUS usually does pretty well with cooling.

5 years - well, my first gen i5 laptop is still quite usable 5 years later. It would depend which generation i3 you are upgrading from.

However, if you are planning on playing games and capturing footage at the same time, that is not at all the laptop for you.

Solution

Jpudify

Estimable
Oct 4, 2015

I'm upgrading from 3rd generation i3, I believe (370M).

I plan to record from PlayStation 3/4 so I'll only use the laptop for capturing gameplay and commentary at that time.