Would we waste our money on a 4K TV?

Buck041

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
We are allowed to watch TV at work (after hours). Currently, our TV is too small and needs replacing. We currently have basic cable, with the little cable box that has no DVR capability, and I believe will not pass HDTV through to the TV. I am looking at suggesting getting a 1080P Smart TV, but want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything better.

Will we get our money's worth with 1080P, or would a 4K signal pass through the cable box okay? I just don't see paying for something we won't be able to take advantage of.

Thank you!

robert600

Distinguished
I think most 4k tvs will up-convert a 1080p signal to 4k (not as good as a native 4k source but probably better than native 1080p). The other thing to think about is the future - in a year or 2 that 'little cable box' may be replaced with something that supports 4k ... it would be a shame to be 'held back' at that point by the tv.

How much different is the price between 4k and 1080p? At the end of the day, only you can decide if it is worth it.

Buck041

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Buck041

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks robert600! I tried posting this from my tablet and it locked up on me.

I did some research on TV manufacturers (recommended, mid-level, hit or miss, and who to stay away from). That was easy, but my research into our "basic cable" situation left me scratching my head.

Budget restraints are the issue here. While I'd love to get a top rated 4K Samsung, they're just too expensive. I'm going to recommend we hold off until the After Christmas sale(s), there might be another price drop, but I have knowledge to be sure. It's a gamble, I know.

Buck041

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I just found this on Best Buy.. It's right in price.. Reviews are so-so... Thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5733300.p?skuId=5733300

Cable TV (like over the air TV) is currently limited to 1080i or 720p. A low priced 4k TV may look worse than a 1080p TV because the video upscaling is compromised to keep the price down.If your cable box doesn't even support HD it's going to look even worse. Check to see if you can get an HD box for any new TV. It's hard to find non 4k sets in 50" anymore though.
If you are going to use a streaming service that supports 4k then you will get some advantage there. It will be hard to find 1080p
Toshiba TVs aren't made by Toshiba. They sold the name to a Chinese maker. I would not expect much but for $299 but they aren't robbing you. Check the warranty and how it's serviced. Having Chromecast built in might have advantages over no name streaming software.

Buck041

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Thank you. I know the Toshiba brand is not one of the better oout there, but I plan on buying the 5 year warranty through the Geeks. We do plan on using streaming video often. Maybe I can swing getting a hold of an HD box, and dealing with the cable company, so we can take advantage of the TV's abilities. Much appreciated.