WP7 Makes Permanent Changes to microSD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Yet another reason i will never buy a Windows 7 phone. I've been a follower of Windows Mobile all the way up to 6.5, but it's things like this, the lack of native tethering, no open app support, and god know what else we've yet to uncover, that my next phone will be an Android based device. Microsoft ruined WP7 in my opinion.

G

Seems like a big screw up on the vendors side. If the cards are available in bulk only, then Samsung or AT&T should have bought a bulk, and had them in stores when the phones launched. Advertising a feature the consumer has no way of getting is false advertising!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
> the microSD card slot isn't meant for consumers to insert whatever they buy, but is intended to be used by the OEM that built the device and the wireless carrier that sells it.

I am totally against this kind of thing. The OEM and the wireless carriers make too many changes to the devices, and they aren't doing it for the good of the consumer. I'm not surprised that Samsung has this problem, the last Samsung phone that I owned (Epix) clearly had changes made to it by Samsung and by ATT, and not for the good of the consumer.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
What ?!?

Are they serious about this ? One thing is to require special cards in order to operate properly, another completely different is to render a card useless outside the phone.

You won't be able to put it into your printer to print photos, neither your multicard reader on your PC/Laptop/Netbook, or other phones or media players.

Are they really serious ? How stupid do they have to be in order to ruin Windows Phone 7 like this ?

Are they playing Apple or the console market tactic here ? ("Only our cards/peripherals work with our porducts and they won't work anywhere else, so you have to buy from us, overpriced and all")

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
This is awful! I could come up with one situation where you'd want to move the card back and forth between devices possibly quite frequently. If you were taking photographs on a micro SD card inserted into an adapter and you had to get them e-mailed right away after you finished, in ordinary circumstances you could put the micro into your phone and send them right off. I have not tried this myself, but just the fact that I've thought of doing it inevitably means somebody has probably done just that.

tgoods44

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I think its going to be very hard for Microsoft to gain any market share. They really have nothing going for them except for a slightly altered UI. I mean, if you wanted a closed platform with choked out features wouldn't an iphone be a much better choice, especially with content available, and its coming to other carriers soon. Then Android has an edge being open etc. etc. Why would I want WP7?

G

These articles seem slanted. I have the focus and I purchased a standard 16gb micro SDHC card and have had 0 problems. The memory isn't intended to be removable, it is memory expansion. The cards become "part" of the device, the added memory ends up an extension of the internal memory and they are inseparable from each other as well as encrypted to only work on that device. This is both clearly documented in the install process by both Microsoft and Samsung and is a design decision made for either security or DRM in order to allow you to install apps, download movies, etc,. from the marketplace without fear of the content being copied to other devices without being rightly paid for.

This is the second article I have seen, and the writers should do a bit more homework before posting them as fact.

G

You can set the phone up to wirelessly sync all photos, videos, contacts, documents etc,. that you have on the phone to your desktop and your free 25gb space on skydrive when you plug it in to charge. Pretty awesome if you ask me, so those complaining that you can't print etc,. just don't understand the platform.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'm sitting next to my HD7, which replaced my HD2. Over the time that I owned the HD2, I never removed the 8Gb card once. Nope, not once. My HD7 has 16Gb.

I myself have, time after time, shown people how to change their camera app to save their pictures onto the SD card and applied fixes for dodgy SD cards that wouldn't play media that well.

I PREFER certified cards in WM7 as it reduces tech calls, problems etc etc and by changing the card, I invalidate my warranty and the card gets trashed, so be it.

Stop being dumb amd tech users, think of the average joe out there. DOes the iPhone have removable storage? No. Did WM6.5? yes. Which had more problems with memory? Ohh let me think about that.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Why does anyone want one of these phones? Are people really that stupid?[/citation]

Yes, they are and most went out and jumped all over the iPhone 4 EVEN with its wireless problems. Unified onboard memory on WM7? Yes please and thank you.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
if this were Apple, they would probably slap people's hands for changing the cards in the first place. If they LET people change the cards, they they are opening themselves up to problems and they will then also get the flack from that.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Microsoft better get on the ball with WP7's missing features soon. People tolerated the lack of copy and paste and other basic functionality when iOS came out because it was the only option, not because it was acceptable to be missing such a feature. Now that iOS and Android are offering features that WP7 lacks, they really can't afford to slack on becoming at least equal to Android and iOS.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Comments in this ghacks.net story indicate that the phone is using the microSD device in a RAID configuration. Technically smart but usability stupid.[/citation]
From a peformance standpoint, it sounds wonderful.
I would prefer trhe option to lock the card in or not. Maybe a way to unlock a card?
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I will give it 2 weeks and Microsoft will announce that the SD card problems will be fixed with an update[/citation]
I certainly hope your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.