WP7 Makes Permanent Changes to microSD Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
And MS drops the ball again.
The whole purpose of removable flash memory is that it is REMOVABLE, allowing the user to switch it out for a different size or directly slide it into their computer for read/writes. An SD card that can't be used with other devices and needs to be replaced by someone with tech expertise is little more than dirt slow main memory.
Sorry to anyone who doesn't understand the problem here, but you clearly do not belong on a tech site. SD is a standardized format, it is meant to be swappable and removable. They could have released a new format and called it "MS SD" or something if they wanted to mess with low level formatting or in general wanted proprietary memory.

The SD needs to be a high speed device? Class 2 isn't what I'd call "speedy" by any means.

I can hear the lawyers scrambling to ready their class action forms already. Something about words like "certain cards which are only sold in bulk", "changing the SD card (which is the consumer's property)" and "fried" must sound appealing for them.

G

It isn't removable, it is expandable. You could also continue paying 100 bucks for an extra 8 gigs if you prefer.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]And MS drops the ball again.The whole purpose of removable flash memory is that it is REMOVABLE, allowing the user to switch it out for a different size or directly slide it into their computer for read/writes. [/citation]

As above, it's NOT REMOVABLE! I would have to do some funky things to my HD7 to get at the memory and that would invalidate the warranty. PAY Attention please or at least read about the damn phones first. Articles like this one simply do damage.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]pan79[/nom]You can set the phone up to wirelessly sync all photos, videos, contacts, documents etc,. that you have on the phone to your desktop and your free 25gb space on skydrive when you plug it in to charge. Pretty awesome if you ask me, so those complaining that you can't print etc,. just don't understand the platform.[/citation]
That'll work great when I want to print off my photos, except what if I don't have a computer? I mean, why would I need one if I can surf the web and check my email/facebook/etc... all on my phone, or my XBox 360? Yes, readers of Tom's probably all own computers, but that doesn't mean everyone who wants a smartphone does. My sister uses her Android phone for the reasons I listed and NO, she does NOT own a computer.

[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]I'm sitting next to my HD7, which replaced my HD2. Over the time that I owned the HD2, I never removed the 8Gb card once. Nope, not once.
I PREFER certified cards in WM7 as it reduces tech calls, problems etc etc and by changing the card, I invalidate my warranty and the card gets trashed, so be it.[/citation]
Wierd, because the first thing I did was replace the 1GB card that came in my G1 with a 16GB card. Then, after I had re-ripped all my music to a higher bitrate MP3, I removed the card from my phone, inserted it into a card reader, re-formatted and copied all my music back to the card. Otherwise, I'd have to dig-out that special HTC data cable that came with the phone that I never use. In fact, I've removed my card many times, I mean seriously, I'm not even sure where that stupid data cable is. When I replace my phone in the upcoming months, I plan to move it to my new phone (rather than copy all that data off and back on), it just makes more sense that way. Oh, and as for certified cards, I believe SDHC is a STANDARD. You shouldn't need to certify a card for WM7, if its a certified SDHC card, it should work, right? It's typical Microsoft to "embrace and extend" industry standards to make them incompatible. "Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish" is ACTUALLY how Microsoft described their standards adoption policy, as found by the U.S. Department of Justice when they sued Microsoft back in the 90's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

[citation][nom]pandarus79[/nom]These articles seem slanted. I have the focus and I purchased a standard 16gb micro SDHC card and have had 0 problems. The memory isn't intended to be removable, it is memory expansion. The cards become "part" of the device, the added memory ends up an extension of the internal memory and they are inseparable from each other as well as encrypted to only work on that device. This is both clearly documented in the install process by both Microsoft and Samsung and is a design decision made for either security or DRM in order to allow you to install apps, download movies, etc,. from the marketplace without fear of the content being copied to other devices without being rightly paid for.This is the second article I have seen, and the writers should do a bit more homework before posting them as fact.[/citation]

While you are technically accurate and more precise than the article, you haven't actually said anything that dispells any of the statements in the article. By encrypting the card and locking it to the device, Microsoft is making "permanent changes to an inserted microSD card, possibly preventing it from being read, written to, or formatted for use on another device". Viola.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I believe SDHC is a STANDARD. You shouldn't need to certify a card for WM7, if its a certified SDHC card, it should work, right? [/citation]

Class 2, class 4, class 6, class 10. Speeds.

Class 2 = slow. Class 10 = fast

I think you get my point.

The charger with the HD2 and HD7 use a USB cable that attches to the main charging unit. If you need to charge the phone, there's the cable to sync. Also, maybe you should get a cable as you can then charge from any USB device

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
1. They said flat out cards weren't hot swappable.
2. Nothing is permanent about this change.
3. It allows secure storage when the device is stolen.
4. It allows DRM of zunepass content.
5. There is nothing proprietary being used here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#DRM_features
6. All you people who say this will make you not buy one are lying. You weren't going to buy anyway.
7. If apple did this then.... well apple would have to start using SD cards first wouldn't they?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Oh and...

You don't need to swap the card over to something to "print a photo" or whatever. The photo you took is already in the cloud. Just open your web browser.

Apples "think different" has been hollow for so long that now when people really need to they are unable.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Class 2, class 4, class 6, class 10. Speeds.Class 2 = slow. Class 10 = fastI think you get my point.The charger with the HD2 and HD7 use a USB cable that attches to the main charging unit. If you need to charge the phone, there's the cable to sync. Also, maybe you should get a cable as you can then charge from any USB device[/citation]
Class shouldn't matter, if you have a Class 6 card it should run in a class 2 slot, and vice-versa (just like SATA 1.5Gbps drive should run in a 3gbps slot or DDR3-1600 RAM can run in a DDR3-1333 slot). Yes, Class 2 is slower, but you aren't using the card as RAM, just storage. And as for USB charging, my G1 can charge over any mini-USB cable, but it uses a special usb cable for data, you have to ask HTC why (however, I think they fixed this recently).

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
? We're talking about windows mobile here, not android. The last eight damn WInMobs I've purchased for work all used and synched using the same cable. Now, with the last few devices, HD2 etc, they ALL use the industry standard mini/micro usb cables.

As for the class of card, MILLIONS of people play music and especially video from their SD cards and so... along with now recording video, playing games, a faster card is highly recommended.

I didn't say that Class 6 won't work in a class 2 slot? Do class 2 slots exist? Stop confusing the matter. "but you aren't using the card as RAM, just storage". Ok, let's all run everything from really slow ram or the slowest 5200rpm hard drive as it's only for storage. Umm... no!

We/I/MS want to ensure that the card's used on their phones are up to the task at hand. Fast media access and playback. Class 2 does not cut it and the MOMENT thousands of devices slow down due to CRAPPY cards from china, who gets the blame? MS

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]ThatConfusedMofo[/nom]I like how "gogogadgetliver " gets thumbed down for being right.[/citation]

"What you said, whilst true, make me feel uncomfortable. If I make you look bad, it will stop being true."

I would say that's how the majority of people on the internet think but unfortunately that's how the majority of people think in the real world as well.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'd actually like the majority of people to 'think', to maybe spend a bit of time trying to understand why businesses do things, heck, why people do things. Understanding is slowing starting to vanish .

Unified memory is better for us in many ways. Maybe the next revisions will all have the memory bonded to the main board. Then... people probably won't complain. WHich will be odd?

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hahahahahaha!! I'm sorry I just couldn't help myself right there.

Talk about MASSIVE FAIL. That's the whole point of removal media. So you can "remove" it, and use it on "another" device.

I'm having serious flashbacks to Apple stupidity..........

G

So, this phone and it's OS is designed for the Phone company....not for the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.