Xbox 360 Impressively Modified Into Laptop Form

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaleon1980

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
This is an impressive piece of work! Will people quit making so many negative comments about Microsoft/Xbox 360/RROD and just be positive for once? The people involved with this should be commended for how much creativity and dedication they showed, not made fun of!!

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]Pretty cool if you ask me...he buys a $300 Elite and turns it into a laptop that would cost a few grand in stores/online. I personally would buy it if I didn't just upgrade my mobo and ram. in the listing he should have said "YES! this laptop CAN run crysis!" XD[/citation]

Except it can't run Crysis because Crysis is PC exclusive. Also, what's the point of this. My laptop can run Crysis, its way smaller, probably lighter, can do more, and only costs $1000. What idiot would buy this?

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I'm actually not a console player. I don't like consoles, but I am really impressed with this mod. Hopefully they got the cooling down properly. Unfortunately, I think the price is to high. I could see maybe 1200, but it's like buying an old laptop. For that $2000 I could buy a better laptop, or build A high end gaming desktop.

Nice mod though. :)

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Ya, props to the makers. But now way would I pay that high of price for it. Hell you can get pretty decent gaming laptop for 1500$. Although I'm sure somebody will buy it, and then I got to give even more props to the makers lol.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Efrayim[/nom]Wouldn't it been better to get a LCD that had a HDMI port. So you could run the audio through the HDMI Port and through the monitor speakers and then just Modify it go through the low-profile speakers?[/citation]
i was wondering that myself. maybe they weren't happy with the sound quality of built in monitor speakers

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]mobility radeon 4750 / GT 335 / 5750 + c2d/i5 on laptop = mw 2 on the go[/citation]
So you can put a video card into a laptop? this is new too me....personally my laptop is too thin to fit one....

These guys did an awesome job. I think they deserve a good congrats. Although a lot of the posts seem to be more about knocking the idea which is stupid. Just because its a console doesn't make it some kind of scum.

Also there is a good chance that this will NOT RROD. The reason is that they said they used a new xbox (the RROD problem is suppose to be fixed) plus I would think they made sure they had plenty of cooling (RROD only happens from the system getting too hot and cracking the low quality solder).

The only part I dislike about their design is the power, I think they should have found a better way of powering the system (alteast try and put the supply inside....i know laptops dont even do this, but it would make it look a little nicer). But overall a great job.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]So you can put a video card into a laptop? this is new too me....personally my laptop is too thin to fit one....These guys did an awesome job. I think they deserve a good congrats. Although a lot of the posts seem to be more about knocking the idea which is stupid. Just because its a console doesn't make it some kind of scum. Also there is a good chance that this will NOT RROD. The reason is that they said they used a new xbox (the RROD problem is suppose to be fixed) plus I would think they made sure they had plenty of cooling (RROD only happens from the system getting too hot and cracking the low quality solder). The only part I dislike about their design is the power, I think they should have found a better way of powering the system (alteast try and put the supply inside....i know laptops dont even do this, but it would make it look a little nicer). But overall a great job.[/citation]

wow u've been living in a cave to not realize that laptops have dedicated video cards in them.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]How else are you supposed to play modern warfare 2 on the go?[/citation]

Would you really want to play it on the go, when we can all think of far better games that we would love to have with us...

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cj_online[/nom]wow u've been living in a cave to not realize that laptops have dedicated video cards in them.[/citation]
Well me start with where can you buy such video cards? Last time I checked there is nothing on normal sites like tiger/newegg about laptop video cards. Second I did not mean they dont have them at all, I ment that you can't really upgrade the laptop yourself. Thirdly most laptops do not use dedicated video cards, they use the graphic card's chip. The only way to get a laptop with an actual dedicated video card would be to pay WAY to much for it....

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]Except it can't run Crysis because Crysis is PC exclusive. Also, what's the point of this. My laptop can run Crysis, its way smaller, probably lighter, can do more, and only costs $1000. What idiot would buy this?[/citation]

Well you might have a point here. But we're talking about a handmade almost one-man job. While our laptops are just mass produced mobile computers. There's the value of this equipment.

G

Yeah, okay, lifting four pounds gives you a hernia. It's a sad world that we live in.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Well me start with where can you buy such video cards? Last time I checked there is nothing on normal sites like tiger/newegg about laptop video cards. Second I did not mean they dont have them at all, I ment that you can't really upgrade the laptop yourself. Thirdly most laptops do not use dedicated video cards, they use the graphic card's chip. The only way to get a laptop with an actual dedicated video card would be to pay WAY to much for it....[/citation]
i don't think you understand what components are actually in a laptop...

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
laptops do have video cards, just that most of them are intergrated with the mainboard & in some cases they have dedicated ram like mine, though i have seen some asus laptops with changeable video cards...not too sure what surferdude is thinken?

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
$2000 for something that's probably going to red ring anyway? No thanks. It's completely impractical as well, though that never stopped anybody. But it took a lot of talent and hard work, so the project is pretty awesome, the product, not so much. Great work guys who worked on it.

futurenature

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I don't understand what are some of you guys talking about.. This thing has NO BATTERY so how do you wanna play games on the go? They are asking 2k for it but they are not able to change the loud fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.