Xbox 360 Only Console to Grow This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowkazama

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
"So far in 1009, compared to the same period in 2008, there has been 17 percent growth in sales for the Xbox 360."

Wow, in only 1000 years, there was a growth of 0 to 17%!!

That's really slow progression!

yadz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]shadowkazama[/nom]"So far in 1009, compared to the same period in 2008, there has been 17 percent growth in sales for the Xbox 360."Wow, in only 1000 years, there was a growth of 0 to 17%!!That's really slow progression![/citation]

LOL, another typo courtesy of Tom's.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Considering the economic situation (and around world, not just in the US) those are still some pretty impressive numbers. Summer is when kids are out of school, families are taking vacations, and teens are working part time (or full time) jobs, all of which detracts from gaming. This is also of course irrespective of the fact that very few new titles (decent ones anyway0 have been released lately for any platform.

The argument about PS3 sales are that if Sony drops the price, sales will go up. Sony has been losing money on every PS3 version sold to date, but the bleeding is not as bad these days as production costs fall closer in line - at least that's what I understand anyway. Sony is also still failing to produce a lot of quality titles. They have a few killer proprietary games like Little Big Planet, the Motorstorm series, Warhawk, and Metal Gear, but that's just not going to increase sales.

Top that off with the fact that companies like Valve are thumbing their noses at the PS3, and you have more headaches for Sony. As a PS3 owner however, I don't regret the purchase. Only about 25% of my gaming is on it anyway, and any serious shooters like Crysis or L4D or racing sims like GTR2 go straight to the PC.

Microsoft just has better marketing and exposure as well as of course lots and lots of games. Hell when Halo 3 was all trumped up two years ago, it made me want to get an Xbox just for that game alone - apparently lots of people did. But having just bought the PS3 a few months before, that wasn't going to happen.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Well it's hard to sell more Wiis when practically everyone has one so I guess the 360 is gonna be the second system. Besides, at this point it hardly has to worry about the PS3 :D.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Seriously. Emailing to a co-worker and inviting them to read the article would have caught this error. Reading the article aloud would have caught this error. Reading the article in silence would have caught this error. Inviting a co-worker over to read this would have caught this error.

There are 5th graders who don't make stupid mistakes like this. It's just mind boggling how this place can claim to be a tech news site with such awful awful proof reading practices. Just downright pathetic. I go to anandtech almost exclusively now but I come back for a couple of days only to be reminded exactly why I left. Just pathetic.

Marcus, you really have no business writing articles if you can't slow down enough to re-read your article even ONCE without catching an error like that.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]avanarius[/nom]Good thing joystiq JUST posted an article about the ridiculously high failure rate of the XBOX 360 ----> 54%Even with a product replacement plan who would want to buy this garbage?http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/ [...] ilure-rate[/citation]Whether or not something breaks is irrelevant unless its mission-critical. IE medical equipment, you want to be bullet-proof. A video game console? The only thing that matters is that they fix it when you call them. For example... my brother has an Xbox 360, and his two kids have PSPs. The 360 RRODed... and they replaced it (over a year old, but less than 3). The PSPs both broke (one has a faulty optical drive, the other has a bad analog board). It has been 1.5 years since purchase. Called Sony, and guess what, he's SOL.

At least on the one PSP I can replace the joystick assembly for cheap, but for the other unit the optical drive is costly enough that its easier to mail it to Sony for repair. I'd replace it with a used PSP, but there's no guarantee that one wouldn't develop its own problem. Plus they're both limited edition white star wars models (2000 series IIRC), and I don't feel like swapping drives (and maybe boards if I'm unlucky and its not physically the drive itself).

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Well this year is almost over so it's pretty much irrelevent. I think the PS3 has the brightest future for the next few years. I still believe that when the price comes down, it will out sell even the Wii. My God their still selling PS2, so i think theirs plenty of time for Sony to be the King again.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Once Sony and Microsoft cut the price of their consoles sales will surge for a couple of months. Also whether or not something breaks is some what relevant as it can exaggerate sales numbers. Someones 360 breaks outside of warranty, they buy a new one. I personally know whose launch model 360 broke on them right outside of warranty. Talk about bad luck. They had to buy a new 360.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Well it's hard to sell more Wiis when practically everyone has one so I guess the 360 is gonna be the second system. Besides, at this point it hardly has to worry about the PS3 .Well if you look at the numbers [/citation]

Well if you look at the numbers released. Total wii game console sales sits at 52.62 million while the 360 sits at 31.5 Million , and PS3 is 23.91 million. Now current estimates of Global population is 6.778 Billion. Plenty of room for growth.

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Troll here and proud of it. Why is this thing still selling is it price or just because it has alot of games. Guess all those youngens it caters to got to have something to do. True gamers have a PS3/large HDTV led type and a high end gaming PC with 2560 x 1600 res anything less is for pussies and homos.[/citation]

First of your a fan"boy" and you need to grow some bolz and get ur shit straight instead of showing that if you are older than even 14 and posting this you are a lost cause.
2nd to let you know true gamers play, dont troll.
Last but not least a true gamer would have stopped mentioning BR which you didn't but the fact you combined a PS3+HDTV means you arent even aware that PS3 came in HD about a year too late, you were just too busy jacking off and saving money for your PS3 that whole extra year ;)

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I played a little with the Wii, man I thought it sucked as much as the DS that I borrowed from a friend. I really can't see myself spending that kind of money on something so kiddie and dated.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I bet a good number of those are replacements for dead boxes though. And dead boxes isn't a good thing: it may help out with sales now, but it will kill the industry in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.