Xbox 360 vs. PS3: The Smacktalk Continues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I love how people believe the PS3 is more reliable. The main reason most people get the RROD on the 360 is due to poor ventilation. As the newer 360s hit the shelves, people are seeing less RROD issues than the previous editions... The one thing I do admire from MS is their enhancements have bettered the system and have made the prices lower in comparison to Sony who continues to remove features from their system and keep the prices the same...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
They eat porridge?

@noahjwhite

That sums it up nicely. I've said this in another post, but to paraphrase: ps3 = great htpc, xbox = best gaming console, wii = interesting gimmick that will bring new users to gaming.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]TIndytim[/nom]Lol, someone gave me a -1 for listing sales numbers? Are there than many Xbots on Tom's?[/citation]

Actually, the biggest fanboy I've seen in this thread is you. =P

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Lol, someone gave me a -1 for listing sales numbers? Are there than many Xbots on Tom's?

I didn't rate you down but i guess that consoles sales slow down with time so you should compare the first two years of xbox compared to the first 2 years of ps3.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]that_aznpride101[/nom]Actually, the biggest fanboy I've seen in this thread is you. =P[/citation]

Really? Did you miss this little message then?
[citation][nom]PS3 Fanboy[/nom]Sony has a year less in the market, and the 360 has already been exploited to the maximum with GoW2, so maybe 360ers will see the reality by the end of 2009. PS3 RULES and its gona RULE MORE. BTW I had read The last paragraph 3 times in other articles.[/citation]
I had an obligation as a decent human being to -1 this person.

[citation][nom]bigburn[/nom]I didn't rate you down but i guess that consoles sales slow down with time so you should compare the first two years of xbox compared to the first 2 years of ps3.[/citation]
That would be unfair, the 360 had a whole year without competition.

However, the PS3 is still selling faster:
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

I don't understand how anyone can call me a fanboy. I'm not pretending like the PS3 is some sort of godsend, and I haven't said anything derogatory about the 360.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I own all 3 systems. I never use the Wii (hardcore gamer). Most of the games for the PS3 still run in 720P. It's so irritating to buy this expensive hardware and a 1080p television and they still can't offer a majority of the games in the correct resolution (my PS3 is relegated to a Blu-ray player). I'm assuming it boils down to the difficulties of porting the games over from a predominantly PC platform (360) to the cell processor architecture. I like the PS3, but I buy all of my games reluctantly for the 360. I definitely don't like Microsoft, but how can Sony brag about better hardware when most of the games run in a lower resolution? Nearly ALL 360 games run in 1080p. I won't play anything in 720p. Has Sony addressed this issue? What was their excuse?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]DavidGBailey[/nom]I own all 3 systems. I never use the Wii (hardcore gamer). Most of the games for the PS3 still run in 720P. It's so irritating to buy this expensive hardware and a 1080p television and they still can't offer a majority of the games in the correct resolution (my PS3 is relegated to a Blu-ray player).

[citation][nom]DavidGBailey[/nom]I'm assuming it boils down to the difficulties of porting the games over from a predominantly PC platform (360) to the cell processor architecture.[/citation]
Neither have PC parts, neither are 8086. In fact, both are PowerPC based.

And, as of late, quite a few crossplat games have started looking better on the PS3, because of the difficulty of porting to the PS3, they've started porting from it.

[citation][nom]DavidGBailey[/nom]Nearly ALL 360 games run in 1080p. I won't play anything in 720p. Has Sony addressed this issue? What was their excuse?[/citation]
You may want to read this:
http://www.makeyougohmm.com/20070721/4652/

And you can't blame Sony, it's the developers that decide what their games do, and don't do. But I only own a few games that refuse to play at 1080p (like Rock Band), so I can't say much from my own experience.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I am sorry but I stopped comparing consoles and getting into pointless arguements about consoles when I grew up.

Who really gives a sh**?

Why do I care how many consoles sony moves compared to nintendo, or msoft?

For the most part all of the consoles on the market are damn fine pieces of equipment. It's just unfortunate how expensive it is for games and hardware.

I porbably lean more towards sony but I don't have the PS3 because of the cost and the fact that I now play more PC games than console games.
But there is nothing worng with owning the other two, who really cares?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]there is nothing worng with owning the other two, who really cares?[/citation]

The people who bought them. While it's easy to say it doesn't matter which one does better, it's bullshit. A console with a higher install base, and with better developer support, is going to get the better games 9 times out of 10. Winning matter to the people with an investment.

I haven't seem that much rampant fanboyism in this thread. Although Noahjwhite does make some very inaccurate comments.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I love how people believe the PS3 is more reliable. The main reason most people get the RROD on the 360 is due to poor ventilation. As the newer 360s hit the shelves, people are seeing less RROD issues than the previous editions... The one thing I do admire from MS is their enhancements have bettered the system and have made the prices lower in comparison to Sony who continues to remove features from their system and keep the prices the same...[/citation]

I bought my 360 a few months after its release and a few months later I heard about the RROD so I put a 12 inch fan on the front of the unit (on high) every time I turned it on. After looking at the airflow determined that was the the best way to keep it cool. 2 years later I got the RROD but microsoft had me another unit in a couple of weeks.

As far as the ps3 is conserned it simply costs too much. After the price cuts it will be better but at this point in time the xbox 360 has the better multiplayer. In my experience multiplayer is everything with consoles and why the xbox is doing better. Also the why the wii does so well. I personally would prefer a cross between a wii and a 360 as my next console. BTW if sony is going to wait 7-8 more years to realse the ps4 they are screwed.

G

I rarely comment on these articles, but aren't gaming consoles supposed to be to play games? So if the games are good for console X, then who cares what the hardware specs of that console are?

G

This is a joke. First you brag about how you want people to have to work overtime to afford your console, and then you go on to say that it is hard to develop for on purpose. C'mon Sony.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I love how people believe the PS3 is more reliable. The main reason most people get the RROD on the 360 is due to poor ventilation. As the newer 360s hit the shelves, people are seeing less RROD issues than the previous editions... The one thing I do admire from MS is their enhancements have bettered the system and have made the prices lower in comparison to Sony who continues to remove features from their system and keep the prices the same...[/citation]

The PS3 IS more reliable. The new 360's may be better but a double digit failure rate (some say as high as 30% or more) vs a 3-4% failure rate is pretty cut and dried. My 360 rrod'd and had plenty of ventilation. There was a flaw in the 360 design that caused it - heat made it worse but it could and did often happen even with plenty of cooling.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not sure where people come off saying that the PS3 has superior or even equivalent graphics to the XBOX 360. The graphics processor of the PS3 and 360, caveats aside, are what eventually came to PCs as the GeForce 7900GT/GTX and Radeon X1900XT/XTX. This is a fight that the ATI chip wins, especially with newer games that are putting more and more load on the shaders. It is unreasonable to think that the PS3 should beat the 360 in a raw graphics war. Hence, multiplatform games tend to "look" better on the 360.

Where the PS3 should (eventually) beat the 360 is AI and physics. The compute power of the Cell processor combined with the high bandwidth memory subsystems and the rather quick interconnect technology allows for a level of physics processing that simply can't be done on 360 hardware.

This platform advantage is also used for the excellent upconversion and highdef playback capabilities of the PS3. Since the required decode hardware was already in place, adding a bluray optical drive was a no brainer as it didn't add significantly to the cost and solved the high capacity medium problem. Unfortunately, all of this adds up in the price and even without the bluray drive, the PS3 would still be more expensive than the 360.

I don't really believe that Sony intentionally made it hard to program the PS3. It's simply not very easy to take advantage of multicore systems, particularly when the cores are not created equal.

If they really did do such a thing, it would only ensure that by the time developers figure out how to harness the full power of the console, the competitions new, more powerful, and easy to program console is already available. Oh, and if developers only had to focus for about 6 months to figure out how to take full advantage of the console, they could spend the next 9.5 years working on say, better storylines, more refined gameplay (especially multiplayer), better controls, fuller immersion, and more content (so single player gameplay lasts more than a week).

What I'd really like to see is consoles develop more support for alternate controls. (I.E. Joysticks, mice, keyboards/gameboards, and even guns) Seems like they could make some extra cash bringing these back. Of course PCs will always have the superior technology advantage given the lifetime of the console, but superior controls is an advantage that console don't necessarily have to give PCs.

Bibbit

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I, like many others here, have all three consoles and have had them for a long time. I have to say we have more 360 games than Wii or PS3, but we actually like the PS3 most, or at least we use it the most. We use the PS3 for it's blu-ray/DVD abilities, and we use it for streaming. The 360 streams nicely, but one other thing the PS3 does that the 360 doesn't is browse the web. We actually watch many shows via the internet using the PS3. You simply can't do that with the 360. As for games, I think the PS3 is releasing better and better ones over times. We love Sackboy! I really like Valkyria, and a couple of other PS3 excusives. But, still, we do own more 360 games because that's where a lot of the middling games are right now. Oh, we also buy more downloadable games from Sony than MS, but none of those games could be called cutting edge.

G

PC = win

but as far as these two are concerned.

PS3 = more raw power but unbelievably bottle necked by its terribad gpu

360 = mediocre specs with a specially developed gpu that makes it almost infinitely prettier and outperformier than the PS3

I dont necessarily prefer one over the other being that i think they are both crap compared to a computer. these are just the facts, don't believe me? look it up.

G

1- If you think the ps3 has a hight price, remember that the ps3 is a bluray player, has sd, compact flash and memory stick ports, wifi ready, and is better build that the 360.

2- I know a few people that have buy 3 or 4 360 because the ring of death, because after buy more that 1,000 dollars of games is stupid just throw everything... (more stupid buy another 360 to see it die!!; and I know a lot of people do this! so that's a way to sell A LOOT of 360's

3- the PS2 is still selling, so is easy for sony say that they are not worry about the competition... is sure that they are making more money with the two PS's that microsoft and the 360...

G

well the ps3 is better see what people dont realize is that every xbox get that retarded red ring of death thats retarded i got a ps3 as well not one problem i mean people wake up xbox games get scratched up you cant play them the ps3 games are scratch proof. the online is free come on ps3 is truly better

Status
Not open for further replies.