Xbox 360 Woes: E74 Becoming Big Problem

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]kugi[/nom]nope, its cheap solder and cheap heatsinks, not the chip itself.[/citation]
Nvidia anyone?

This sounds exactly like the problem plaguing the Nvidia graphics cards in notebooks.

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm on my third 360 and it works fine right now. Now just because there have been problems I haven't given up on it because if I had to rely on playing "FUN" games on my PS3 I would be playing Metal Gear Solid 4 for months on end and the other part of time letting it do folding@home. The network of Xbox live is there and it's well established and works well. The games available are tons more than the PS3 and to say the least the Wii. So, I think I can be patient over the hardware issues when I look at what it would mean if I had to stick with the competition. And yes I do have a PS3 and a Wii. But they just don't cut it compared to the 360.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
BUTTT!!! the large stable of nice exclusives for the 360 and in my opinion better ergonomics controller. The better gui. I like the 360

LOL

hey xbox 360 is the best console in the world I may have to replace it 2-3 times and have to wait weeks maybe months for Microsoft to fix my system but it has all the games i can play for a few months till i have to send it back to Microsoft to have it fixed again LOL

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]LOL hey xbox 360 is the best console in the world I may have to replace it 2-3 times and have to wait weeks maybe months for Microsoft to fix my system but it has all the games i can play for a few months till i have to send it back to Microsoft to have it fixed again LOL[/citation]

Both times I had to send in a launch console for repairs, they had it back to me within a week. First one sent in on a Wednesday and had it back on Tuesday. Second one sent in on a Monday and had it back on Thursday.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I love that quote from MS "The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles continue to have a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out."

IE: we have problems, you have problems... but our lemmings still have good times. Sugar coating the problem.

Seriously... a 33% failure rates with Xbox360s. This is why I think the 8million units ahead of SONY maybe false. Since many people here are saying "I'm on my 3rd or 4th" xbox, buying new models just IN CASE their older one dies, or to get the HDMI port. While the PS3 has had HDMI from the start. Easy to replace end-user HDs, etc. Really, the PS3 ends up costing less money.

If e74 is a re-named RROD... that would be TOO FUNNY. That would be a massive law-suit. Considering how much MS is about legal issues and how pirates cost them money, etc... and they themselves get to rip-off consumers, legally. :)

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
33% Failure means 66% without problems
Technically that means the majority of people don't have a problem. lol

Or more like 16%
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/xbox-360-failure-rate-at-16-warranty-provider-reports/

Now comes the Homer quote about percentages.............

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]lady_11[/nom]The only way for Microsoft to truly make a reliable consoles is it consumers stop putting up with their bullshit and demand better treatment.[/citation]
Um, the American people put up with a completely useless govnerment and congress, on top of the fact that their precious president is a total banking president(aka looking out for wallstreet and the big banks, which has been a war brewing since 1913) and all they do is complain. They wont stand up for anything....together they are useless, invidually they are pathetic.

gwiz1987

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
on my mates xbox, he got the e74 error and 2 rings. so what i did was heat it up by covering wit a towel for around 10 min, then turn it off, cool down then restart. it worked but after a while artifacts started to appear. so i fixed this artifacting problem by covering up the xbox again and then after a few min, it would be back to normal. i found that the xbox won't artifact when its heated up, so i have just covered half of the exhaust so it maintains a decent heat level inside the xbox without overheating (which will force the xbox to shut down) and the artifacting problem is fixed. sometimes the artifacting will reappear so i will just cover more of the exhaust up and then after a while it will return to normal.

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I have a 20GB Xbox w/o HDMI and I had a red ring of death. I have the system in a well ventilated area on a hard surface and it still died. My 3 year warranty is going to expire in a month or two and I am very worried about it dieing again. Microsoft obviously did a terrible job of designing the hardware and it trying to make the consumer pay for fixes that shouldn't need to be done. I wish I would've bought all my accessories and games on my PS3 instead.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Um, the American people put up with a completely useless govnerment and congress, on top of the fact that their precious president is a total banking president(aka looking out for wallstreet and the big banks, which has been a war brewing since 1913) and all they do is complain. They wont stand up for anything....together they are useless, invidually they are pathetic.[/citation]

This is mostly due to their mainsteam medias. But pretty much all mainstream medias in any developped country are dumbed down to no more than entertainment, owned by powerful people who share the same interests. And it's sure is good for corrupted corpolitics to have people believing informations at CNN is the Saint-Graal of everything there is and that you got to know. People believes propaganda through the means of the information the power in place own (TV Networks & Newspapers) is something only of the past. They think it died with Hitler for some reasons. There was way BEFORE Hitler.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Or perhaps you know a lot less than you think you do about the collective and are instead spewing your childish ignorance and showing how heavily you rely on pseudo-fact. You people are an embarrassment. You can honestly speak in place of everybody? What in the hell do you know?

I'll answer that for you: you know nothing, so keep your mouths shut. You're not above anyone.

G

I recently had the single ring of death on my xbox elite (e74). I was a bit wearey of taking it apart myself, but in the end decided what the hell after a bit of research. Took it apart, followed the steps on some of the videos on the net ( clean gpu and remove heat thermal grease etc ) and seems to be running fine at the min. the fans seem a little louder than normal, but ok. I hoping this can be a sort of long term fix, but some peoples reviews are sayin that it latest a couple of weeks the fails again. I guess I'l c over time.
after all this, i found out that ms have extended the "e74" warranty now to 3 years, and mine was only 1yr and a half old. never mind. long live self fixing and not waiting 10 years to get it back from ms =)

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]resonance451[/nom]Or perhaps you know a lot less than you think you do about the collective and are instead spewing your childish ignorance and showing how heavily you rely on pseudo-fact. You people are an embarrassment. You can honestly speak in place of everybody? What in the hell do you know?I'll answer that for you: you know nothing, so keep your mouths shut. You're not above anyone.[/citation]

Oh come on, you fucking retard. Did I even came up with 'facts' or 'pseudo' facts as you said? If you believe there is no more propaganda in the world (and North America) good for you, I don't. Did I say I was above anyone? No. I would be more than pleased if people in general would educate themselves by diging informations in rich literature and would not take for granted what the mainstream medias spit out on TV & newspapers. But here is a fact, that is'nt a 'peudo' one, the majority DOES take for granted what they are being told on TV and don't read much, except the newspapers headlines. So just fucking calm down, it's not my fault if you got an inferiority complex.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]darkone1987[/nom]I recently had the single ring of death on my xbox elite (e74). I was a bit wearey of taking it apart myself, but in the end decided what the hell after a bit of research. Took it apart, followed the steps on some of the videos on the net ( clean gpu and remove heat thermal grease etc ) and seems to be running fine at the min. the fans seem a little louder than normal, but ok. I hoping this can be a sort of long term fix, but some peoples reviews are sayin that it latest a couple of weeks the fails again. I guess I'l c over time.after all this, i found out that ms have extended the "e74" warranty now to 3 years, and mine was only 1yr and a half old. never mind. long live self fixing and not waiting 10 years to get it back from ms =)[/citation]

Unfortunatly, since you opened the console, I think the warranty is voided. But I agree with you, long live self-fixing. What is really complex and sensible in a console is the disc reader. The one in the xBox360 in exactly like what you got in a PC. If the problem is'nt coming from the drive itself, and your confident with say, PC electronic hardware, with some tutorials, I don't see why it would be a problem trying to fix it yourself. Problem is, if a part is fried, like a chip, and you opened it, your pretty much fucked.

G

Hello I found your site on Google and I see that it has some useful tips on fixing Xbox 360. Ahm, I would just like to add more of the information about fixing Xbox 360.

#1 tip to avoid Xbox red ring of death is to prevent Xbox overheating.
#2 never try to re-solder Xbox your own unless you are knowledgeable at it or you have a repair guide with you.
#3 Don't wrap the damaged Xbox 360 console with a bath towel, it will not do good to your Xbox.

For a detailed instruction about fixing Xbox 360 problems, you can look at this resource http://www.e74online.com/ just sharing to also contribute helpful information to Xbox lovers like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.