Xbox Father Leaving Microsoft Over Axed Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
A common problem with old bureaucracies. The high-energy innovators run head-first into legacy stubbornness and get smacked down. They then leave and launch a start-up.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]A common problem with old bureaucracies. The high-energy innovators run head-first into legacy stubbornness and get smacked down. They then leave and launch a start-up.[/citation]
Yeah except in this case they're both stubborn like mules. I personally liked the Courier concept, but I don't think it was ready for prime time. They should bring it back though, in a couple of years, so I can buy one to use for e-books, comics, etc.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I can see reading an E-book on one of these things on one screen, then using the other to make notes. Now THAT would be handy. Is technology ready for it? More than likely. Are WE ready for it? Probably not. Not unless it's easy to use like an iPhone. It would need to have a few more features added to it, and be basically the iPad dual-screen along with the features that Toms Hardware mentioned that the iPad is missing. Remember that article? 5 things? I don't remember if one of them was GPS, but that would help, too.

unrealpinky

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Microsoft's loss is another companies potential gain. I hope to see this one come to market as I normally utilize dual monitors at work and home and can see it being more useful in a tablet form. As JOSHSKORN mentioned, the ability to take notes on one screen and read on the other, as well as more naturally mimicking an open book make it a more attractive device IMO.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Microsoft is not a hardware provider and for the moment we just don't have competitive mobile graphic chips for dual screen devices, so i think this was the real problem that stopped or delayed the Courier project.Expect ATI or nVidia to step in

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i don't think they just axed the product mindlessly. maybe they thought it was no match to the Ipad which could be better in many aspects which makes sense since HP also halted on their Slate device.

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
^ It is on, don't you worry about that.

I too thought the Courier was a great concept, and actually something new.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]A common problem with old bureaucracies. The high-energy innovators run head-first into legacy stubbornness and get smacked down. They then leave and launch a start-up.[/citation]
Probably a good thing if you think about it. Microsoft has done more to kill off PC gaming than anyone with their Xbox and the STEAM wannabe service known as GFWL is a sick joke.

rdwestgate

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
From a college text book/note taking standpoint I think microsoft lost big on this one. They easily could have revolutionized book sales at the college level in terms of having contracts with universities that would use these instead of books for the classroom.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]Microsoft is not a hardware provider and for the moment we just don't have competitive mobile graphic chips for dual screen devices, so i think this was the real problem that stopped or delayed the Courier project.Expect ATI or nVidia to step in[/citation]
Not manufacturing hardware has never stopped any company from making a product, that is what all those hardware makers are for. Tegra 2 might have been useful there :)

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Too bad I liked the concept of that device, a very neat idea. I think the market is ready for these innovations.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As far as Microsoft not wanting to compete against Apple, I'm pretty sure there's plenty who would buy an MS product just to NOT buy an IPad. -coughZunecough-

Status
Not open for further replies.