Xbox Live Says Autistic Boy Cheated

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
assuming: he cheated, that he read all 100+ pages to microsofts TOS, and knowingly 'broke the rules'.. he should then be considered at fault.

reality check: probably noone (except someone with 'nothing but' time on their hands), would even know and understand the complete TOS. (there was a ruling before in a case, that made TOS unreasonable and unrealistic, simply because noone actually reads them). i know thats not verbatum how things went, but thats the jest.

Without knowing 'much' more, i would simply hold microsoft liable for allowing this even to happen to begin with (and 'any' other organization). and for them to withdraw their punishments as a result. they really need to spend some time and profits to rework 'all' of their TOS, etc. to more meaningful levels.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]MrSinatra[/nom]insane. everyone at microsoft who chose to handle this issue this way after being made aware of it should be fired. i expect things like this from the gov't, not the private sector. in fact, she should get a lawyer and sue. it is incredibly difficult to raise an autistic child, i'd love to see her burn them down.[/citation]
I bet you'd also love to see every man burn that doesn't let a man in a wheel chair in front of them in the grocery store line. Hey, guess what. I can bet you $50 that they're ignoring this ladies plea's, because microsoft gets excuses like "my son is autistic" 50,000 times a day.
pshh..why play soully for achievement points anyways. Play a video game for fun. Wouldn't surprise me if the kid was actually cheating in the first place.

Autistic kids aren't all there, but when it comes to technical skills, you bet ur ass they can be the best at it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]Very low Microsoft! VERY LOW![/citation][citation][nom]MrSinatra[/nom]insane. everyone at microsoft who chose to handle this issue this way after being made aware of it should be fired. i expect things like this from the gov't, not the private sector. in fact, she should get a lawyer and sue. it is incredibly difficult to raise an autistic child, i'd love to see her burn them down.[/citation]
Yes let's jump to conclusions, shall we? We have zero evidence given to us one way or the other. MS obviously feels they have evidence, they wouldn't do this to paying customers without a reason. Yet a bunch of people immediately jump up and down and screech like monkeys because his mommy says he's autistic and a good boy.

vicks_wedge

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
no one has actually provided evidence that he cheated. The link to stephen touloses blog where he states that the kid had "cheated achievements" isn't proof, it's simply hearsay.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Yes let's jump to conclusions, shall we? We have zero evidence given to us one way or the other. MS obviously feels they have evidence, they wouldn't do this to paying customers without a reason. Yet a bunch of people immediately jump up and down and screech like monkeys because his mommy says he's autistic and a good boy.[/citation]
I have serious doubts that M$ or anyone else really care. Most companies that have some kind of detection for cheating have this really poorly set making it to have some amount of false positives.

I was once marked by cheater too and was lucky enough to forgot turn off video recording so I had proof that I didnt. And its allways going same way, you contact support for wrong accusation and they either ignore you or reply to you that they have evidence that you did cheated. What surprise when you provide them proof it end up with something with apology and comment like that there was problem with their cheat detection system.

So I have really doubts about fairness of those systems. They usually work on guilty unless proved innocent system.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
From one who has a niece with autism, I think he should get the achievements back regardless. If a boy with autism can figure out how to cheat, then he deserves a special achievement just for that.

I am being serious!

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I went to xboxlive.com, and sent them a complaint. I encourage EVERYONE to do the same!

They make a bulk of 360 money off of xbox live products. If enough people complain, money talks and they will listen!

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]From one who has a niece with autism, I think he should get the achievements back regardless. If a boy with autism can figure out how to cheat, then he deserves a special achievement just for that. I am being serious![/citation]
This doesnt make sense. Autistic kids arent mentally retarded, and should they have the interest to do something they can figure out how to do it.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?! No right of repky here for the kid or the mother! I say sue the pants of em for defamtion and Libel (i think they are the right terms, bit rusty on my legalese... lol)

G

Okay, so I am not a gamer, so maybe I just don't get it. But it's a GAME....who cares if he "cheated" or not? It's a release for him! Do you win money if you get higher scores? Do you get anything other than personal satisfaction? I just don't get the whole thing I guess. The bottom line is that it is still a GAME.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]This is just stupid. Mind your own business MS.[/citation]
Hmm.. I'm sorry, what? Xbox IS MS's business.

To all the people saying MS should give the achievements back even if he cheated and lied : WTH is wrong with you? It may be "just games" to you, but it's a legetimate serious business to most people. If the kid would have robbed a bank, would you let him keep the money because he has autism?

You're not helping anyone by letting them keep things they don't deserve, even if that person has autism, cancer, trisomy, etc.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
To be honest i am the same way, all that i do is play games, the controller becomes part me and no game is a challenge just another hand exercise. I am on the gamers side. JMO

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I remember the first time I was doped by the mother of an Autistic child. Me "Ma'am, your child is breaking the rules, children over the height limit are not allowed in this area" Mother "Oh, it's ok, he's autistic. Me "Oh..." [lets child break rules I'm supposed to enforce].

Since then I've learned a lot more about autism, and I wouldn't have let the child (mother, really) get away with it. All I can say about the autistic boy is that his mother needs to take responsibility and make him be around real children as much as possible. Autistic children need to be taught the correct social reactions to other people's outward emotions because they are missing the mirror-neurons that allow normal people to internalize other people's emotion "empathy." Being around real children would at least give him the chance to develop socials skills, where as he is learning the opposite on Xbox live (ruthless competition, fantasy rolls, computer isolation, ect).

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Simple11[/nom]People can cheat on consoles? Like are we talking game exploits like 'roof boosts' or we talking hacked games?[/citation]

every console game has codes you can tap out on the controller to get special abilities powers to get the devloper thru the game so they can see and test effects in the whole game, like the lighting of the sky and sun and clouds orother special affects. some codes give special advantage to the player like extra power/speed/life ect ect so they can test game balance and what not and look for bugs or defects in components in the final product before it goes into mass production instead of producing a bunch of flawed copies/products. there's a couple of developer offices where i am at and i get to stop in and see and test play some of their games every once in a great while when they need tons of players to check stuff (Activision & EA).
i have worked with autistic kids and they are very bright, most people don't pick up on their methodical exploration and testing of how things work. i would not be surprised if a great number of them have figured out the key combos for the codes.
that is probably information microsoft accessed from their servers or his machine itself and might be a big reason why microsoft did this to him.
i don't know, but it's not like nintendo power magazines just up and disappeared either.

Status
Not open for further replies.