Xbox One, 'Call of Duty' Dominated Black Friday Game Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I am not surprised. People that read THG will normally look at the hardware and gaming first. That's normal. Of course most of them as well would buy a PC before a console.

But the XB1 is going to sell because, from what I have read, it has better games and as well it does allow for some great features out of the box. To get near the same as Kinect, and not even still, you need the PlayStation camera which is R50 mucks making the PS4 only $50 less with similar capabilities.

Plus the 360 really helped as more people had 360s than had PS3s.

I guess we will need to wait a year or so but I bet the XB1 will sell more.

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Sale numbers mean nothing at this point for the PS4 and Xbox One... because of the supply issues both consoles get sold out as soon as new systems arrive. The only thing this statistic of 31% xbox one and 15% ps4 is showing is that Xbox One systems were more in stock over Black Friday.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I don't get why websites add fuel to the fire by posting nonsense articles such as this. There is no clear "winner" yet, and there wont be until at least a year of sales when the supply means demand. And to be honest, there's never a "winner" because both consoles have great exclusives and any true console gamer will own both or just be happy with what he has. I really don't understand why there is so much back and forth between xbox and PS fans. Is it really that critical to say your system is best?

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I hope AMD will now introduce more cool and powerful APU's and GPU's, they're winning now, no matter which console will sell more... ;)

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Sorry for the triple post..I just learned that refreshing the site after posting will re-enter a current post.... PFFFTTT!!!

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Sony's sales numbers are so low because they have nothing to sell. These numbers would be different if Sony could meet demand.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
@jimmy
I did not buy into a console last gen, and will not buy one this gen either... heck, I would have to buy an HDTV to go with it. Money better thrown at my computer.

But, if I were to buy a console today then it would hands down be the X1. Here are a few reasons:
1) Sony is a hardware company. They make hardware and sell it. Microsoft is a software company at heart. They are accustomed to iterative design and release. The last consoles showed this plainly enough, and I think we will see more of the same this time with Sony releasing a product that remains largely the same, and MS sells a product that gets significantly better over time.
2) While the kids may not care or remember, there are quite a few parents who remember needing to get credit card information changed when Sony got hacked... twice. I am sure that Sony has beefed up security since then, but I think that there were a lot of parents who are thinking twice this time around. And no matter what the kids want, it is the parents who buy the consoles.
3) Games. Sony built a much more hardcore game box, but the games getting the good reviews are indie games, which don't sell consoles. MS built a much slower box, in a much larger case, with an external PSU, with tons of ventilation, that is designed around much broader use (skype and TV), and yet managed to have better day 1 games, and seems to have a smaller but better quality lineup over the next year. Why the entertainment box has games and the game box doesn't is beyond me, but this is a big win for MS who has never really had good opening lineups on any of their products.
4) More than just games. MS has better voice commands, gimmicky gestures which will hopefully get better with time, TV/Cable 'integration' (aka overlay) options, and a whole host of DVD/BluRay/network media playback in addition to the now standard streaming options. Sony has many of these same options, but did not pull them off nearly as well.
5) Sony, as a larger company, is not doing particularly well, and has not been doing well for a long time. Not saying that they won't recover, but the failure of many of their divisions has a definate toll on their gaming department because a lot of their funding goes to bail out others. MS on the other had turns even most of their 'failures' into profits (except for the Surface RT). Win8 was hearalded as a failure, but it makes money. WP is considered a failure, but it makes money... and provides Android patent leases which makes lots more money. Office 365 pricing is not exactly popular, but it is raking in money. While there are rumors of MS selling off Xbox, the fact of the matter is that they don't need to. Xbox is not a huge money pit anymore, and while it has not yet hit a total break-even yet, the losses at the beginning have been long discounted, and they not make tons of money every year which would be difficult to say goodbye to.
6) The real reason MS is doing so well is not my reason, but it is by far the biggest reason; You can walk into a store and buy an Xbox 1, while the PS4 is sold out. Parents buy the large majority of consoles, and they don't care about console wars or what their kid's friends play. They want to get their kid something shiny for Christmas, even if it is not exactly what the kid wants. If a kid wants a PS4, but x1 is all that is available, then that kid is going to end up with an x1.
The funny thing is that I am not sure why the X1 has so much more availability. Both are running AMD chips made on the same process node, so chip production should be roughly even. Maybe it is that DDR3 is easier to come by than GDDR5? Maybe it is because the x1 is essentially a big heat-sink, so they can tolerate more thermal variance than Sony and their much smaller box? Maybe MS simply finalized design earlier and had more time to produce them? Who knows?!
What we do know is that an early lead with a much more global audience is going to make for some great bargaining power to get more exclusives, and that is a big deal at the beginning.

For all of the PR flubs, it looks like MS has done something right.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
This "Fuel" as you mention it is free advertisment for the companies. Sure it creates fanboys and so on but its a rather cheap way to get people to talk about the consoles and games for them. Personally, i dont care much about what games sold more or less, wich console sold more units and so on.

Good for them, but I care about PC market since i like it more, and I care about what games lower prices for PC (was checking 3 games by black friday, but... prices droped too less, so ill wait a year more or so).
I Understand the interest in feeling like "your" console or even PC is doing better, but Im kinda giving up on that :D.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I personally tried both systems and the ps4 is just flat out better. I wouldn't put much stock into the xbox one selling more ps4's considering ps4's considering the xbox one had more in stock then the ps4 that and it sold in 11 more countries during the debut, when the ps4 becomes readily available the numbers will change in ps4's favor it reminds me of early u,s. prez election results when a bunch of little electoral states already voted and it looks like one prez has a decent size lead at first, until the big states come in later on in the election that hold a lot of electoral votes then will then favor the other guy. this is where ps4 is at right now.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If the sales figures for PS4 are going to use the lame excuse of not enough stock on the shelves, surely whoever works at Sony that makes sure shelves are stacked high for Black Friday should be sacked - plus a real Sony fan would have waited still stock comes in

Status
Not open for further replies.