xbaman

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hi all,
When I overclock my XFX 5870 in MSI Afterburner
I cant change my volts on the card.
I go into settings and press the Unlock voltage control, restart the program but I still can not change my volts,

Please help me: D

davcon

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
You can download AMD GPU Clock tool to change the voltage i did for my XFX 5850 and it works.
Try different versions till you find one that works.
I tried one that didn't but installed a different one and it's fine.
Sorry i can't remember which version though.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
AFAIK the only XFX model that has voltage control is the reference version, if your 5870 has the fan in the middle then its a no-show.

Voltage control :

yesvolts.jpg

No voltage control :

novolts.jpg

There are many threads here on Tom's that talk about this same subject, I only saw one user that was able to over-volt a non-ref XFX 5870 by doing a pencil mod.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
^This. Reference models are guaranteed to have voltage control, but otherwise it's very slim pickings. I know that ASUS DirectCU models allow voltage control. Not sure which others tho. MSI, I guess, since it's their overclocking software lol.

xbaman

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010

okay thanks,

but why are they so stupid and make cards that dont can use voltage controll?

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
It also is less hassle for them. If you overclock the card and fry it, then bring it in and say "look! It's broken! RMA!" what can they do? It's tough to prove it was overclocked and not faulty to begin with.

OvrClkr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Yup, cut costs and RMA headaches. XFX boards are not up to par when it comes to heavy OC'ing. Hopefully that will change once the 6xxx series drops, I would love to see a hefty XFX 6770 with some voltage control.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I had a unlocked XFX card, the fan blew out on me and i decided to RMA it. they sent me the locked card and i was pissed... i spent 3 days on the phone with them and sent 6 emails trying to get them to either send me my broken card back or replace this POS they shipped to me to no avail. if i could go back i would have bought a water block for the card and just replaced the dead heat sink. i will never buy anything XFX again.