Xoticpc vs Newegg (Custom built vs pre-built)

Smilee

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
So I'm a first time laptop buyer.
From the reviews I have found xoticpc seems to have an impeccable record.

Wondering to myself.. Are they really that reliable? And if so.. Would it be better for me to custom build an asus laptop on their website, or order one of the g750 series off of newegg/other stores.

What opinion does everyone have?
I'm looking to spend $1500-1800.

If you believe that building one on xotpicpc would be best, any input/examples would be appreciated. Won't be buying a laptop till the end of the month.

Thanks!

The add-ons xotic pc offers look pretty thorough but unless you know exactly what you are looking for you may as well get the default configuration from either of the sites.

Are you looking for a large screen, 17" or is the 15.6" ones good enough? ASUS only? The SGI and Sager laptops are good gaming brands also and you can get a bit more custom builds from them. They may end up being a bit larger and heavier but well suited for gaming if that is what you are looking for.

Smilee

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

Well from what I've read, ASUS is overall more reliable. Cooler. Sager's are more powerful but can run hot and are not as reliable as an ASUS. Although by getting ASUS I can't really upgrade it.

With the one at futureshop I can get, its unfortunately 1600x900 making it not as ideal as the ones on xotic which are 1920x1080.

I'm slowly learning things. So somewhat getting my head around things. Think its coming down to how reliable xoticpc is compared to futureshop, or wait till newegg has a good deal. Currently the only one I'm interested in is refurbished so that kind of diminishes its worth.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I want a fairly good gaming laptop, no more than 1800. I like the reliability of ASUS so I think I'm sticking with that. But that's as certain as I've gotten. Not sure how much I should spend and what I want heh.

The reason ASUS run cooler is that use less extreme gaming parts. The more custom laptop makers pack in as much power into the shell as they could, which does lead to more heat.

A higher end ASUS will serve you well though.

Is this for games? What screen size are you looking for? Does weight matter?

If you will be playing at a desk in one spot you would want an external monitor/keyboard/mouse so the screen size is less important. I would look for a fast 15.6" laptop and put the money towards a 22" desk monitor instead of getting a 17" laptop, although the higher end laptops in your price range come with a 17" screen anyway.

That's not accurate unless you're considering upgrade potential. Asus simply has a very good design for thermal diffusion.

@Smilee: You will probably get better customer support from the guys at Xotic than you would from Newegg. Newegg is likely to have a competitive - if not better - price though. It's a give and take. Of course, in the end, warranty service goes through Asus rather then either of these guys. Xotic will be there to take questions and offer service on parts they upgrade for you, though.

Smilee

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Well to answer both. I will be both mobile and stationary. The monitor most be 17" and 1920x1080 resolution.
Which xoticpc offers.

There is a laptop on newegg.ca that is cheaper than xoticpc but it is refurbished. And I don't think I'd trust buying a refurbished laptop.

Making xoticpc the better choice. As well as enabling me to customize the backlit/logo. Although.. I won't be buying till end of month so sales on both sites are bound to change.

This should do it http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g750jxrb71-p-5969.html

TRENDING THREADS