dhlucke

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
--------------------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\xmpeg\Xmpeg.exe

Abnormal Program Termination
I'm going insane here. This is my first time doing this so I'm fairly new, but I've done everything according to the article and I'm getting this error each time. It gets about 20 frames in and it crashes. Any suggestions. What codecs should I install exactly and I'm worried that I might be doing that part wrong?! What about the fps? Should it be at 30 and can my computer even handle that? I've also got the bandwidth or whatever at 1500, so I suppose I'm wondering what settings I should be using for my system if that's the problem here.

Athlon 1000-C
512MB Crucial PC2100
7200rpm 40GB HD
WinXP Pro

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Welcome to my lair.

I don't know why you are getting an error. You may have a bad download. This is not commercial software and is buggy. I have had trouble with certain rates of sound compression crashing. Try monkeying with the sound codecs and rates or even try one without sound alltogether.

I use mp3 for sound at around 112bps and divx3.11 for a video codec. The video rate depends on past experiance with the type of movie and the target filesize. You just need to play around till you figure it out (I did).

As far as the fps goes we are talking about the rate that the finished product will play at not encode speed. Your system is fast enough to playback at 30fps no problem. The encode rate in fps is not setable and is determined by the speed of the system. The system will take all the time it needs to do the encode. The playback rate needs to be high enough to avoid flicker but a lower rate will help compress better. When using a Flask type product I usually pick 23.9fps. Some sources do not like being converted to 23.9 and need to be left at the original rate of 29.9.

I could go on about how to get Xmpeg to work but the time will be better served by suggesting you try Fair Use or Nandub instead. Fair Use is my favorite and is easier to use then the others. Only problem is that it does not do sound. Both FU and Nandub use Variable Bit Rate encoding so you don't pick a number like 1500 and wonder how big the result is going to be. Instead you pick a target file size and the programs maximize quality within that file size. FU actually converts the video 4 times and dynamically picks the best combination of all 4 in the final version. Nandub goes through the whole process twice. The first time it makes a stats file and the second time it uses the stats to modulate the bit rate for maximum quality. Both produce much better video then Flask/xmpeg. The sound is done seperate and then muxed in with Virtual Dub.

For help and downloads on all the above programs including xmpeg see <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A> and <A HREF="http://www.divx-digest.com" target="_new">http://www.divx-digest.com</A>

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 11/08/01 05:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I changed it to decode with mpeg3 or something and it's working, but it's realllly slow. Is it supposed to take 11 hours to do a movie? Granted I put the settings up pretty damn high, but 11 hours seems a bit extreme.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

Welcome to the club my friend. I use FlaskMPEG + DivX4.01 Codec. Apply 2 passes, and each one of them is taking about 10 hours on T-Bird 1Gig + 256MB DDR. Actually, I am encoing a movie right now, still has 4 hours to go :). Then I have to apply the second pass :((( It takes a day to code a movie, thats a lot ha?

They say Xmpeg is faster than FlaskMPEG, but I didn't try it yet.

And lakedude, I gave up with that Nandup stuff. I'll jump into FairUse once I finish this coding. Thanks for your answers...

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Gotta admit this is a bit ridiculous. I just hit 6 hours and I have 3:45 left. I only set it to one pass though. I noticed (about 4 hours in) that I have the sound set to stereo instead of dolby which really ticked me off, but I just want to see what kind of video I get and how large the file becomes. I'm up to try any software at this point if it's any better.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Fair Use will take even longer because it is doing 4 full versions of the video. I have 2 boxes and usually set the fast one up before bed or work and it runs for 8 to 12 hours to do a movie.

Nandub is much faster but also much harder to use correctly. To maximize quality with Nandub you run it twice. If you are mostly interested in speed you can finish the job in one pass in very nearly real time. I can't say for sure on your system but you should be looking at about 2 hours for a 90 minute movie. The problem with a single pass is that you loose the ablility to predict the final size. I usually want a movie to fit on one cdr so I always use 2 passes. Both passes take about the same amount per pass of time so a 2 pass run will take about 4 hours with Nandub.

Until the XP came out this kind of work was done best on a p4. You need to remember that your computer is doing a lot of work. It needs to playback the original source resize, crop and then re-encode each frame. If you are changing frame rates it also needs to cram 29fps into 23fps. Just decoding an MPEG2 stream takes quite a bit of power. I would say it would take about a 300MHz machine to just be able to decode MPEG2 in real time. There are a lot of indivual pictures in a movie and each one needs all those steps. In a 90 minute movie you have 90min * 60sec/min * 29.9frames/sec for a total of 161460 individual pictures. Divx is a workout for you cpu! good luck

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.