XPS13 only works with adaptor plugged in

zenanh

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
1
0
1,510
0
Recently I've spilled half a glass of tea on my xps13. I followed the usual steps - shut down everything immediately, turn the laptop upside down and left it to dry for 3 days. Everything else works fine.
However, when i tried to turn it back on, I found out that it could only work with the power cable plugged in. The battery icon at the taskbar is at a constant "33% available (plugged in, charging)". It goes down by 1% after every 10 hours of use or so (maybe because I have a usb cooling pad attached?).
It's troubling me a lot as I'm not sure what the problem is. The XPS13 gets really hot and prevents me from using the programs that require higher requirements. I've also experienced quite a number of sudden shutdowns due to the temperature being too high (despite my use of a cooling device)
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
 
So if the only thing you did to remove the liquid was to turn it over and leave it for days, then you probably have stuff still in the device. And if the tea had sugar in it, well then it will be sticky as well.

Someone I know had tea dumped by someone on theirs. Nasty mess.

You would really need to open it up and check the entire inside for any residue. First, take out the battery and clean it. Next clean all the contacts for the battery inside. Then carefully clean it all off (even parts that don't look like they got any). Leave it open to dry completely. Then when finally dry carefully put it all back together.


NOTE: Always take out the battery and make sure it and its area are totally clean and dry when liquid is spilled on a device. It can do major damage to leave it in.
 
So if the only thing you did to remove the liquid was to turn it over and leave it for days, then you probably have stuff still in the device. And if the tea had sugar in it, well then it will be sticky as well.

Someone I know had tea dumped by someone on theirs. Nasty mess.

You would really need to open it up and check the entire inside for any residue. First, take out the battery and clean it. Next clean all the contacts for the battery inside. Then carefully clean it all off (even parts that don't look like they got any). Leave it open to dry completely. Then when finally dry carefully put it all back together.


NOTE: Always take out the battery and make sure it and its area are totally clean and dry when liquid is spilled on a device. It can do major damage to leave it in.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Keerthana11 Laptop Tech Support 1
ScottyPXP Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 0
Visluck Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
Seric(98) Laptop Tech Support 4
PhoenixFlock Laptop Tech Support 1
Venura_Ganuka Laptop Tech Support 4
M Laptop Tech Support 0
W Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 5
Santiago.t Laptop Tech Support 6
ony308 Laptop Tech Support 2
timstu98 Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 6
Dell-LornaM Laptop Tech Support 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY