Yahoo Hijacking Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KieranD365

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
Hi, So it seems Yahoo has manifested into my computer some how. I have tried conventional ways i.e Changing the search engine in google chrome settings. Checking extensions. Checking for unnecessary programs. But so far nothing has helped!
No out of place programs. No Unheard of extensions. I'm kinda stuck here
any help is appreciated thank you

Any Thoughts?

KieranD365

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

Funny you should say actually. That's the program i use for situations like this. i have scan twice already!
Nothing, No infections or anything

KieranD365

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

Yeah, i recently upgraded to 64 bit win7. So had to install pretty much everything, FireFox Water Fox, Chrome, Spotify, skype, Minecraft steam, h1z1, Movie studio platinum java. but like i said ive checked extensions and toolbars. nothing

KieranD365

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

Most programs don't work as well as malwarebytes for finding malware and there are NO programs that detect 100% of infections. I suggest you try again but use malwarebytes.

Joseph DeGarmo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014

LOL I wonder if Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a contract to try to take over the Internet. :lol:

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah really. I know on the current version of Firefox Google is replaced as Yahoo but you can use Google or Bing as your default search provider. But there's no way Microsoft will completely take over the internet because WP10 will never replace Android or iOS. :lol:

Mary_76

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015
My Google Chrome (on a Mac) kept opening yahoo when I opened up a new tab. I fixed it by clicking on "Window" from the top menu then "Extensions" and deleting anything one that looked suspicious. Fixed the problem right away but was driving me bonkers for a while.

Navin_R_Johnson

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Just sharing an alternate method that doesn't require reinstalling Chrome or editing the registry. This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me (I believe there's more than one way to hijack the new tab url).

1. Close chrome

2. Find a file called "Secure Preferences" (I'm on Windows 7, my Secure Preferences file is in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\)

3. make a copy of it in case things go horribly wrong

4. open it with notepad and search for "new_tab_url"

5. The value in that parameter in my file looked like https://us.search.yahoo.com/yhs/web? with a lot of stuff after the question mark*. Change that value to whatever url you want your new tab page to be

6. Save & close the file, launch Chrome, and open a new tab. Good luck!

* Reply if you want more specifics on how/why I got hijacked and how I found the fix.

Linda_100

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Check your google (chrome) extensions, I found some strange extension called Safe Search or Search something and it was hosted by the browser but not available for download at the store. I didn't remember ever installing something like this and it didn't have a source (host) so I deleted it and refreshed the browser and everything was fine.

No need to download and run a malware. I already have Norton 360 on my laptop so I know it wasn't anything intrusive, but it definitely was annoying. I have Windows btw.

Hello Linda_100,

Welcome to the Tom's Hardware forums!

Safe Search is typically an extension that's been added by your anti-virus program. It keeps nasty scripts, embedded in web pages from running and infecting your system.

Also, when adding comments to threads, please note the dates of the threads you're adding to. This post was started over 18 months ago, so....

Necropost_zpsnqyw5jok.jpg

:)

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.