Yamaha AS201 Amplifier - Subwoofer setup question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I've found a fantastic deal on a professional set of speakers from someone who is down sizing.

The set includes:

• 2x 150w High quality 4-8Ohm (Bi-Wireable) floorstanders
    2x 150w Heavy, high quality (Bi-Wireable) surround sound units
    1x 100w High quality active subwoofer
The Active Subwoofer that comes with it accepts an unbalanced RCA input.

My Yamaha AS201 Amplifier does not have a dedicated, balanced subwoofer/coaxial output.
It has 4 channels rated to 100w RMS per channel.

I know I can wire the active subwoofer using the unbalanced outputs on the amplifer and subwoofer.

What I would like to know is if I can wire the subwoofer and amplifier this way, but with 1 speaker channel being shared with the subwoofer, sharing the signal produced from the surround sound or floor standing speakers so I can run all 5 units at the same time? Or is this just a distant dream?

Here's a picture of the sub inputs available here: Subwoofer Inputs

Would appreciate a speedy response, thanks for your time everyone.

Your integrated amp is stereo. It has terminals for two pair of speakers but both pairs will use the same 2 channel ampilfier. This means no surround sound just all speakers in stereo.
If the combined impedance of the 2 pair of speakers is lower than the amp can handle it could damage the amp or cause it to go into protection either right away or if the amp overheats. I suspect that you can't go lower than 4 ohms combined impedance so it the towers are four ohm you won't be able to use the surrounds without adding an impedance matching speaker selector
https://www.amazon.com/SS4-Speaker-Selector-Impedance-Matching/dp/B002I9XKTE
I would suggest you just use the towers. If the other pair are designed for surround only it will sound better with just the other pair.
You don't have any variable output to use on the Yamaha to use for the subwoofer (preout or sub out). The only way would be to use one of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
connected to one set of speaker outputs. Other speakers can be connected to the same terminals since the sub just taps the signal without any additional load on the amp. If you use speaker A for the towers and B for the sub you can turn the output to the sub off from the Yamaha.
If the sub doesn't have left and right inputs then just use one of the pair to drive the subwoofer amp. It is possible to make as summing box to get a mono output.
http://www.rane.com/note109.html
and connect it to the output of the speaker to line level adapter.

What sub is it exactly ?? Model etc??
Most decent active subs will also have a left/right speaker input too which you just double link as a pass through to your front speakers.

& when you say a 'great deal' what's the deal exactly & what speakers actually are they??

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

It does yes, I've added an image to the original post just now.

You've got high level inputs & outputs mate.
You don't have an issue at all.

Front left/right speaker outputs from amp to high level inputs on sub.
Then wire front left/right speakers to the high level outputs.

Jobs a good un, will work perfectly.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the impedance only lowers to 4 on the towers when they are set up in a bi-wired configuration. I think I should be able to wire them so that the amplified subwoofer piggybacks on the signal for the floorstanding speaker without drawing power, lowering the impedance to 4 Ohm's but not affecting the supplied power.

Thanks for the response, you have been very informative.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

I must admit, I am a novice have always appreciated good sound but this is my first time setting up my own system with scale, so I apologies for the novice questions, it's just purchasing second hand and without manuals I felt it would be wise to get some help from more experienced users.

So, high level inputs can be outputted by the subwoofer via the output terminals on the back and provide a standard signal to the speakers that use it? If so the vibrations will be felt, noise complaints will be made and childish grins will be lavished.

I'm on mobile at the mo mate, so its some what hard to run through this in detail.
Safe to say you can safely buy the speaker package if it is a great deal & time is of the essence.
It has high-level inputs , there is no issue at all running 4 speakers & that active sub on your amp at all.
All you need is a little extra speaker wire.

When I am desktop bound later I will run through this properly as there are a multitude of options on how to actually link the speakers - this will depend entirely on his you want to run things personally.

No extra cables needed at all - just speaker wire nothing more.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Thanks very much, I would greatly appreciate any help greatly.

2x Mordaunt Short MS Avant 908 (150w Bi-wire)
2x Polk Audio Surround Speakers F/X1000 (150w Bi-Wire)
1x Monitor Audio ASW100 (100w active)

All in good condition relative for age, some minor cabinet ware on the Mordaunt's and Sub but nothing scary at all. The Polk's are nice and weighty, include some hefty wall mounts and are immaculate imports.

The only one advisory is that Mordaunt's don't have there binding post straps to join the bi-wiring posts. The owner informed me if I don't bi-wire them I can use a section of speaker wire to act as straps.

If I do want to bi-wire I just checked out amazon and can buy a set of posts with straps (I'm guessing installing them would just require unscrewing the old ones and replacing them.)

The Mordaunt's have a phenomenal reviews from what I have seen from raving audiophiles, awfully excited. They have a side firing bass unit at the base.

I am happy with dual stereo-audio, I paid a mere £150.00 for the amplifier, new with 6 years warranty.
Wait till you hear that I am buying the entire lot at...drum roll please... £135.00 delivered to my door.

135 quid is a good deal no doubt at all.
I personally thinks its a mismatched lot of speakers though (Im not saying you wont be happy because if you want thundering bass youre certainly going to get it)
I owned a pair of 908 up until 8 years ago,yes epic speakers ,truly epic - you dont need a sub with them at all.
Thell hit frequencies as low as that monitor audio sub.
The polks?? Polk are style over substance generally imo,dont like the dipole design personally ,decent reviews though generally.

Youre issue is going to be youll have very little control over crossover & bass frequencies.
If you use the sub high level in & out on the front 908's then youll lose the low bass frequencies to the speakers themselves.That would be such a waste of some wonderful speakers.
If I were definitely intent on buying that set,Id wire the 908's to speaker output A directly,Use speaker output B to the sub high level in,& connect the polks to the high level out.
Youll lose the lower frequencies on the polks & theyll act merely as surrounds which I dont think is a bad thing - You are probably going to have too much bass as it is.

If you want full bass to every speaker as well as the sub then just use 2 run of wire from output B - one to the sub & one to the polks.(I wouldnt though,the above will be more preferable imo)

dont buy bi-wire plates mate,unnecessary expense, as the guy has told you a couple of little 3-4inch runs of wire between the contacts will do the same job.

Are those 908's coming with floor spikes?? If not you need to buy some,If you have laminate floors you need some pads too.
Oh and dont face the side sub ports on the 908's towards the wall if theyre going near the room corners,it may seem like a good idea but its not at all

The impedance of the speaker doesn't change if you use it with biwire speaker cables or not. Both wires go to the same terminals on your amp. You are substituting speaker wire for the metal plates that connect the plus pair and minus pair of terminals which isolates the crossovers from each other more than that plate. I might sound better but won't change what your amp sees.
I would also suggest that running the Mordaunt Shorts along with the Polks in stereo just adds inferior sound (Polk) to them.
If you want to get a sort of surround sound out of the system you could use the Hafler hookup to create a matrix surround system.
http://selfbuildnewhomes.com/images/Hafler%20Hookup.jpg
This won't mess up your impedance because the surround are in series now which doubles their impedance.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013
The speakers are setup on A+B and provide a phenomenally nice sound. A housemate mentioned he could hear them, I apologized and he said "no please, I love hearing them". Have listened to probably 30-40 hours of content and it's flawless.

I listen to a wide range of music but would like the bass running to all speakers and the subwoofer.

If it's overpowering at any point I can always just switch the subwoofer off? This is important for me as I have a full-HD Projector and would like the sub active during movies especially but off otherwise.

Could you give a more detailed response on how to wire my speakers so that they will each produce a full range of sound in addition to the subwoofer topping up the low end when I turn it on for movies?

Thanks you to all for contributions.

JFV

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Thank you all for your help and guidance. It's an absolute dream, the sound is phenomenal!
I could not be happier.

Optoma HD141x 3D projector
Vonhaus 100" - 16:9 screen
-
Yamaha AS201 Amplifier
Mordaunt Short Avant 908
Polk Audio FX1000
Monitor Audio ASW100 Subwoofer

SETUP PHOTO

Status
Not open for further replies.