Yet Another Droid Incredible Battery Life Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Command-line methods are not a user-friendly solution but at least it is possible to work around the problem without having to return the phone.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Its odd, winmobile 6.5 is very easy to use, stable, great community and a beauty to use on the HD2, yet all the tech pages slammed it.Here we have Android in it's seventy flavours with many problems and people lap it up.Now, before I get slammed, I do like and appreciate the platform and I wish it success... I just get a little frustrated when we're so forgiving.[/citation]

People like to pick favorites.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i liken this problem to the Iphone4 dropping calls. people need to send their phones back as defective to get anything done rather then monkey around with b.s. end user fixes. this is something the designers & manufacturer as supposed to have fixed and tested before release. these people are not being compensated near enough for doing all the beta testing and fixing.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Huh. I have an incredible and that hasn't happened to me. Interesting, maybe I'll investigate a little more...

G

@excalibur
Its also about money, google pays for the companies to deploy more smartphones that uses android OS. They use apps and other things to collect info about users to sell to get even more money.

Most of google's software/projects has issues with privacy (look at the recent Wifi data steal issue). And the "If you don't have anything to hide then you don't have a problem" attitude of google is quite annoying, or else why is it called "Privacy"?.

jhanschu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I've noticed this battery drop in my Inc. But it's only been to about 95% then there's a more gradual battery use. From what I've heard there is an update coming soon to fix several nuisances, but whether this is one I'm not sure. Also there's the rumored 2.2 update by summers end that may fix this, but then again, just rumor.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Winmo 6.5 is a face lift of winmo 6, so it has been around for sometime.
Lets wait for winmo 7 and see how good is it.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Get an iPhone and dont worry about the battery life...if you have something to say about reception, read the anandtech article and stfu, kthx.

G

here are a few things you can do that will reduce cellular battery consumption, thus allowing more standby and talktime between charges. Never leave your cell phone close to a heat source or in a vehicle on hot days.

Other ways for extending cell phone battery life is by getting rid of the sound your cell phone makes when you press a key. You should find how to do that in your phone's settings. Use a ring tone instead of the vibration alarm whenever possible, since ring tones drain less energy.

http://www.battery-company.com.au/mobile-phone-battery.htm

G

How long should my batteries last?

Standby time: Standby time is when the phone is ON, but not "IN USE." Standby times vary from phone to phone and are dependent upon type of battery (NiCAD, NiMH, LiON), type of phone, and individual charging habits.

Talk time: Talk time is when the phone is IN USE. Again, times are vary with batteries, phones, and charging habits.

http://www.ebattery.com.au/Mobile-Phone-batteries.html

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]People like to pick favorites.[/citation]

Yeah no kidding. I see these kinds of stories and just shake my head. I have a Blackberry storm that runs tons of useful apps, has a decent sized screen, and most importantly for a portable device the battery lasts a *long long long* time. Two days with reasonable use, a full 24 hours even with heavy use. Typing is easy and the signal reception is great especially compared to just about any AT&T phone *cough*.

But nooo, it's the "worst touchscreen phone ever" and no reputable website will say anything good about it, at all. Well, have fun with your call-droppers and battery-killers, kids. This old man will stick with his reliable dumb old smartphone.

G

It seems like nowadays companies are more concerned with size and features than battery life. Back when flip phones were new and all the rage, I actually stuck with my non-flip phone for a while just because the battery life was so much better. My wife and I now have HTC Incredible phones and I'm shocked by how quickly the battery is drained. It goes from fully charged down to almost nothing over the course of a day with what I consider light use (a couple of short phone calls, some light web browsing, maybe play a couple of short games). I guess all this power comes at the cost of battery life.

unkledunkle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Pretty sure that after you unplug the device from charge state it initiates re sync with your apps and mail clients. To avoid massive power drains simply reboot the device before you unplug it and let it sit for a few moments after power up while the sync is happenint

unkledunkle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
When you pull the charge cord the phone thinks that It has just rebooted and therefore syncs all mail accounts and apps that are set to do so. This is why the drop varies user to user. To avoid problems simply reboot the device before you unplug it and let it sit for a few moments to re sync data.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]unkledunkle[/nom]When you pull the charge cord the phone thinks that It has just rebooted and therefore syncs all mail accounts and apps that are set to do so. This is why the drop varies user to user. To avoid problems simply reboot the device before you unplug it and let it sit for a few moments to re sync data.[/citation]

"Simply"? We have different definitions of this word, it seems. It's a shame too, I was seriously thinking about getting the Inc in a few weeks if Verizon starts a promo on it after the new Droid comes out and if (a big if, yes) they start using a LCD screen to speed up supply, like the rumors have been saying. With the disappointing picture quality on the OLED screen and the super disappointing battery life, I am in no hurry to switch.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Its odd, winmobile 6.5 is very easy to use, stable, great community and a beauty to use on the HD2, yet all the tech pages slammed it.Here we have Android in it's seventy flavours with many problems and people lap it up.Now, before I get slammed, I do like and appreciate the platform and I wish it success... I just get a little frustrated when we're so forgiving.[/citation]

Im not being forgiving. My Android performs flawlessly. Which problems do you speak of? Many of these "Problems" Your speaking of most likely have to do with new smartphone users and their steep learning curves. Others are due to hardware designs that clearly cant be the fault of the OS. Seems to me that Android is loaded into more phones than any other OS and that bound to create some issues. Its not like Apples easy approach of just one phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.