Yet another laptop recommendation thread... need high storage, nice monitor. When to buy?

eljamoquio

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
Hello.

I am considering buying a laptop to replace both my desktop and my current laptop.

Biggest problem: Need ~4TB of storage. More than willing to buy a laptop and immediately replace hard drive, but only willing to consider SSD's right now. I'm trying to get rid of external storage... so that isn't really a helpful suggestion.

From most critical to least critical:
1) Runs Windows
2) Not a Dell
3) 4k, 'calibrated' monitor with even and accurate colors. Near 4K monitor like 3200x1800 might be OK. Physical size of monitor is perhaps less important
4) Capable of storing 4TB on SSD. Raid0 OK. 2.5" OK. M.2 is OK and maybe preferred but right now there are no options in M.2 above 1TB.

The above four are required, without which I'll just keep my current solution.

Nice to have:

5) Touch screen
6) 'Reasonable' processing power. I'm not going to play any games but some photo/video editing takes a while to process.
7) Small, light, etc. as possible. I know with two drives this isn't going to be the smallest/lightest.
8) Quiet. Cool.
9) As less-expensive as possible.

I recognize I have competing priorities here which is why I've ranked them.

I'm also OK with waiting - don't need to purchase this today, tomorrow, or this year. I don't know exactly when 4TB 2.5" SSD's will come out, but can wait for them if it makes a dramatically better solution than what's available now.

Thanks!

4TB 2.5" SSDs are currently currently available. However, they typically geared towards enterprise usage since they are extremely expensive. The 4TB SanDisk Optimus MAX is an example and is priced between $5,000 and $6,500 depending on where you buy it and it has standard SAS 6GB/s interface. When will a consumer level 4TB SSD hit the market? Unknown. Currently that largest consumer SSD is 2TB with a starting price of $800+.

I have not seen any M.2 SSDs above 512GB capacity.

eljamoquio

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

I had read that before posting. What was relevant I answered, and what was not relevant, I did not answer.

eljamoquio

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Thanks. I was hoping someone here knew more about the Samsung 2.5" that is allegedly coming out in 'early 2016'... but again who knows. I would like to stay away from SATA interface but I think I will have to have one more laptop that has it before moving to some other interface.

A $5k hard drive isn't out of the question per se but I'd probably wait another few months instead. Honestly I think 2 x 2TB SSD in RAID0 would be a better solution, no?

A RAID 0 setup can work. There are a few gaming laptops which have that type of RAID setup. You just have to be aware of the fact that if one of the SSD fails, you will loose all your data. The chances of that happening is remote, but it can happen. Small / light laptops generally do not have two 2.5" drive bays which are generally found in 15.6" laptops or larger. Small / light laptops generally have only one 2.5" drive bay or simply relies on M.2 slots.

As far as laptops with 4k resolution... that is something that I personally have not looked into because I prefer 1080p since no icon / text scaling is necessary. A 4k resolution screen also drains more power compared to a 1080p screen and that is a concern for me.