You do not have the permission to enable or disable device wake

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArunMadhu777

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
1st Step: Device Manager -> USB Input Device -> Power Management -> Allow device to wake the computer.
The option was greyed out. No Matter.
2nd Step: CMD -> Run as Administrator -> powercfg /deviceenablewake “USB Input Device”
You do not have the permission to enable or disable device wake. Meh, unfortunate.
3rd Step: BIOS
No power management settings.
What shall I do to get the Power Management options for keyboard and mouse wake action?
Iam administrator of my account and why cant i get permissions to change wake settings even if i run cmd in Run as Administrator. Please help as my lap keep on not responding after sleep????

Solution
You are an Administrator but the System Administrator is the Administrator.

Go back to cmd.exe and right click to RunAs Administrator and at the Prompt, type
Net User Administrator /active:yes
then hit Enter and close the form.

Restart the machine and log in to the new Administrator account that shows on the screen. If that won't work for you, the system has some security settings that shouldn't be there.

Was that laptop once company owned?
You are an Administrator but the System Administrator is the Administrator.

Go back to cmd.exe and right click to RunAs Administrator and at the Prompt, type
Net User Administrator /active:yes
then hit Enter and close the form.

Restart the machine and log in to the new Administrator account that shows on the screen. If that won't work for you, the system has some security settings that shouldn't be there.

Was that laptop once company owned?

Solution

ArunMadhu777

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

ArunMadhu777

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

ArunMadhu777

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

ArunMadhu777

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Thanks for the reply.
But actually the command is executing successfully but iam not able to find any admin account after restart rather than my account.
I the went to MyPc - Rigt click - Manage - Users - Administrator - Properties - Enabled it, then logged in as administrator, but still the same problem of permission.
This laptop is actually my colleges Company Laptop and iam working as an IT trainee. So I need to resolve this issue..
The laptop keeps on not responding to any keyboard or mouse after sleep.
In bios also there is no option.
So is there any solution without formatting.
Kindly please help

I wish I could help but the best way forward now is to go back to college and admit you can't fix this one.

There's no disgrace in doing that and if they've set you up with an impossible task, it is the only way to go. There's a time for everyone to have to admit defeat - it's part of the learning process.

Oct 9, 2018
Had the same problem, that is, if I tried to use powercfg to deviceenablewake for a particular device, I would get the message that I didn't have the permissions to do so. Note, my account has administrative permissions and I ran "cmd" as Administrator. The problem I was having is that none of the devices capable of waking from sleep were enabled. So essentially it's telling me that no matter what I do, I can't wake from sleep. The Device Manager which has the power management option "allow this device to wake the computer" was grayed out for every device.

That sounds like the same situation that all the previous posts have been saying.

What I discovered was that by running the command:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

I was now capable of running the command:

powercfg -deviceenablewake "a device name capable of waking for sleep"

I no longer got that permissions issue. Incidentally, after the restore, I did find that my "HID compliant mouse" was wake enabled. Note, in Device Manager, the power management option "Allow this device to wake the computer" was no longer grayed out for the devices that I enabled wake using the powercfg command. They were still grayed out for all the devices I hadn't enabled using the powercfg command.

As a side note, I think it probably wise to issue the following 2 commands:

powercfg /hibernate off

powercfg /hibernate on

after doing the reset. That seems to clear up some hibernation issues you might have that doesn't seem to be corrected by the "restoredefaultshemes" command alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.