You Overpay for SMS Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I wish we could leave the big business witch-hunts to the Europeans. The price for a good or service is almost always as high as the market will bear. I am willing to pay $15 a month for my unlimited texting plan. If I wasn't willing to pay that much, I wouldn't use SMS. It's not the government's job to come in and force a "fair" price, because in economics, fair is almost always relative.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Chris312,

Fair is always "relative"? Yeah, 5 wireless carriers working together as a conglomerate controlling the price instead of letting the free-market system runs its course sure is FAIR ISN'T IT? They're forcing the consumer to pay a premium for a cheap service regardless of what carrier they use. But hey, if getting ripped off is your thing, be my guest.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
As someone who doesn't text on a cellphone but who is constantly around those that do, I figured out a long time ago that they were being charged exorbitant fees for the service. And those that didn't have unlimited texting plans often complained about overage fees, too.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I always felt texting was overpriced - and always felt extorted when I had to use their picture sending services at a high price.

Of course, I went overboard and bought a smart phone and pay the $30 premium. Then again, I prefer having access to full email, instant messaging, and Opera Mobile web browsing over just SMS.

In defense of the companies, every business needs an high profit margin item to make up for the services they go into the red on. Computers have low margins, but cables are extremely high margin items. Burgers versus fries/sodas/coffee. Cheap phones that make a loss versus high profit plans and add-ons.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I send and receive on the order of 5000 sms and mms messages a month, the $20 a month unlimited txt package for ATT puts my per txt usage at around $.004. I think thats acceptable.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Acceptable for you maybe, but my 50 texts a month costing me $7.50 +tax (15 cents per txt) would be a scam, thankfully I had the my fives thing where I could send free texts and call, for free, 5 people for an extra $15 per month, considering you can pay 15, or 20 cents for sending "Ok" to someone while using less than 10 bytes of bandwidth which flows with the signal the cell has with the tower already anyways.

Now I have a pay as you go cell for I use it to little to warrent paying $55 a month, they got plans for pay as you go's now, I can pay 30 cents a day to have 10 texts daily or 50 cents a day for 100 texts daily, thats 0.5 cents per text, so if they can afford that for a mere pay as you go client, then yes 15+ cents per text is a rip. The biggest BS is paying to receive texts though, thats 30+ cents per text lol

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
happens in asia, though not as severe.
text messages can ride on gprs or any data service, so text service should be dirt cheap.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Im sure Anandtech covered this ages ago, as well as compared it to the cost of communicating with one of there satellites or something too...[/citation]
Yes, I am sure in 2005 T-Mobile figured out the revenue for all text messages will declined by more than 50 percent after 2005.

Read the article before BSing.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
You just have to wonder why one of the smaller providers doesn't give that perk of having free unlimited texts. Makes me think the big boys get to them first. I don't disagree that companies need large profit margins in certain parts of their business, but I do disagree when competition is circumvented to do this. I would rather pay full price for a phone and get a good deal on service then them give me a phone and reap that same profit from the service year after year.

jtsx1

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Att charges $20 for unlimited which is expensive especially after you add in thier $30 unlimited data fee. I thought T Mobile or Verizon offers/offered unlimited text for $5.99. Anyone know where I can follow the progress of these law suits? I want to use them to get a lower texting rate from ATT before they decide to raise other rates.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Yes, I am sure in 2005 T-Mobile figured out the revenue for all text messages will declined by more than 50 percent after 2005.Read the article before BSing.[/citation]

WTF are you on about??

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Claimintru[/nom]Why lower your prices when every customer gladly pays it?[/citation]

Until the day the consumers wise up and ask their elected officials to make these companies more consumer friendly. AT&T is the worst at the fees for this no cost service to them.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I got rid of my cell with cingular about 7 years ago for this kind of crap. I must say I haven't missed it one bit. It's not good to be available to everyone, every second of everyday. People freak out when I tell them I don't have a cell phone, and think am to poor to afford one. Too cheap; maybe, but I can think of 100 other things I would rather spend 60 bucks on every month. As long as wireless companies have suckers that are willing to shell out for their overpriced services, their will be no incentive to lower prices. People shouldn't keep pouring fuel on the fire and then complain about the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.