Your Cell Phone is Way Dirtier Than a Toilet Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

arterius2

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
this is not because cellphones are dirty, its because the people handling them are. well most people are dirty IMO, they don't care about personal hygienes, like taking a shower before going to sleep, or taking the shoes off before entering the house etc. with that said, i keep my cellphone in a nice carrying pouch, wipe it down once a while, had it for over a year and it looks like new.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]arterius2[/nom]this is not because cellphones are dirty, its because the people handling them are. well most people are dirty IMO, they don't care about personal hygienes, like taking a shower before going to sleep, or taking the shoes off before entering the house etc. with that said, i keep my cellphone in a nice carrying pouch, wipe it down once a while, had it for over a year and it looks like new.[/citation]

There is absolutely no relation between looking clean and new and actually being free of harmful bacteria. Wiping it down doesn't help at all against bacteria, unless you'd make the cloth wet with alcohol or other antibacterial fluids, and even then it'd be only a partial solution.

Face it, phones are dirty things (just like keyboards, which actually lead the list of most dangerous parts of your house). Too bad they're too much fun to ignore :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I used to work with waste management. I phone fell into garbage a few times. I've never cleaned it (except for oils off the LCD).

My keyboard is likely far worse though (several roomies that use it). I use to clean my old keyboard often, but my new keyboard takes a while to disassemble, so I don't anymore.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I used to work with waste management. I phone fell into garbage a few times. I've never cleaned it (except for oils off the LCD).My keyboard is likely far worse though (several roomies that use it). I use to clean my old keyboard often, but my new keyboard takes a while to disassemble, so I don't anymore.[/citation]

Yeah I bet keyboards are worse. Would be an interesting test. Same with console controllers.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i would clean my phone but unlike old nokia you cant take the case of

you can only remove the backplate with out special safty bit

instead of spending ages cleaning keyboard just spray on detol or something and leave to dry, simple

its not thororer but will get into all the nooks and cranies

no one is clean

google bactieria on human bodies
we are all coverd in microscopic bactirer and we will never stop it becasue own bodies contain and excete (through pours and things) bactertia because what are enzimes other than bacteria

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Source: Daily Mail

That newspaper is never the voice of reason. Over the past ten years, they have declared EVERYTHING causes cancer.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]i would clean my phone but unlike old nokia you cant take the case ofyou can only remove the backplate with out special safty bitinstead of spending ages cleaning keyboard just spray on detol or something and leave to dry, simpleits not thororer but will get into all the nooks and craniesno one is cleangoogle bactieria on human bodieswe are all coverd in microscopic bactirer and we will never stop it becasue own bodies contain and excete (through pours and things) bactertia because what are enzimes other than bacteria[/citation]

Most of the bacteria living on your skin (and inside your gut and pretty much everywhere in our body outside of the bloodstream) are beneficial bacteria. Skin bacteria eat our dead skin cells and fight off fungus in return. Bacteria in our bowels produce vitamins and help digesting our food in exchange for a small part of our food intake. In fact, there are more bacteria than human cells in our body.

So actually, we are clean, as in a normal human being the vast majority of bacteria are good, even required for our survival.

Phones and keyboards on the other hands, don't have an immune system and a host of good bacteria to fight off the bad guys, so these are actually filthy.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]borandi[/nom]Source: Daily MailThat newspaper is never the voice of reason. Over the past ten years, they have declared EVERYTHING causes cancer.[/citation]

Well, pretty much everything can cause cancer if used wrongly or in excessive quantities. Red meat for example: perfectly healthy if just cooked and eaten, but known to cause cancer if smoked or cured.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Face it, phones are dirty things (just like keyboards, which actually lead the list of most dangerous parts of your house). Too bad they're too much fun to ignore

The dirtiest things we come in contact with are the things we come in contact with the most. Things that are too fun to ignore top the list.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Even though i don't take my cellphone in bathroom with me, Thing is never been ill and never saw anyone. so these studies wont matter. If it hasn't happened till yet, it wont ever. We are no kids are we? Certainly when you get to the age of having cellphones your immune system would be strong enough to kill the germs. End.

sevyr

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Just wash your hands before you eat. And don't rub a phone all over your face ;)
Rubbing your face all over the toilet flush handle of a men's public washroom is fine tho ;o

jojesa

Distinguished
According to tests, the average mobile phone carries 18 times more potentially harmful bacteria that a toilet handle.
So does our elbows and hands but most of that bacteria it supposed to be there in the first place to protect us from even more harmful pathogens.
Maybe cellphone manufacturers could start using antimicrobial technology like Logitech has used on some of their products.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]shaun_shaun[/nom]well.. ur girlfriend must have more harmful bacteria than ur phone ... I m just saying ... LOL !!!![/citation]

Assuming your girlfriend is a healthy woman with a normal immune system (and I honestly hope so), she'd have very few harmful bacteria, but a ton of healthy one. Not all bacteria are bad, remember?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]So does our elbows and hands but most of that bacteria it supposed to be there in the first place to protect us from even more harmful pathogens.Maybe cellphone manufacturers could start using antimicrobial technology like Logitech has used on some of their products.[/citation]

A phone and a keyboard are used for long periods, sometimes years on end. I know very few antibacterial substances that last that long, aren't dangerous to human health and don't smell extremely foul. So I doubt these antibacterial properties are more than a marketing gimmick (except for those special ones used in hospitals for example, but many of these require maintenance)

Status
Not open for further replies.