Your opinion on Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameCrysis

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
Hi,

So I was browsing on the interwebz, looking for a pair of headphones that are <150 euro.
I was told the DT-770 (80 Ohm) was a great option. But how do they actually perform for stuff like bass-y music and competitive gaming (for example CS:GO). Also, should I get a DAC/Amp for it too, if I'm going to play competitively, or is it only optional.

Solution
depends on what you're looking for. all of the beyerdynamic headphones are good.

dt770 - closed design isolates you from the outside world at the expense of less soundstaging. with that said, they do have good soundstage for being a closed design. v-shaped sound signature with more emphasis on treble and bass. great comfort.

dt880 - a neutral version of the dt990.

dt990 - you can think about it like an open version of the 770. nice wide soundstage. open designs leak sound in and out but are also cooler to wear (since they breath) and are often a bit more punchy instead of boomy on bass since sounds escape instead of reverberating inside the earcups. for open headphones they have fairly significant bass. bright detailed treble...
depends on what you're looking for. all of the beyerdynamic headphones are good.

dt770 - closed design isolates you from the outside world at the expense of less soundstaging. with that said, they do have good soundstage for being a closed design. v-shaped sound signature with more emphasis on treble and bass. great comfort.

dt880 - a neutral version of the dt990.

dt990 - you can think about it like an open version of the 770. nice wide soundstage. open designs leak sound in and out but are also cooler to wear (since they breath) and are often a bit more punchy instead of boomy on bass since sounds escape instead of reverberating inside the earcups. for open headphones they have fairly significant bass. bright detailed treble. comfortable.

the dt770-80 is going to be a bit easier to power than the dt990-pro-250 and would require cheaper equipment to do such. depending on what you're looking for the 990 or 770 might be a better choice.

all beyerdynamic headphones in that lineup tend to be a bit on the bright side. depending on if you like/mind bright treble this could either appease your inner detail freak or be fatiguing. using either a tube amp or fiio amp can warm them up a bit to take the harsh edge off treble. using a neutral amp like the schiit magni will keep them colder.

for pure advantage (not taking into account fun-factor here) the bass-light headphones like audiotechnica ad500/700/900 or akg headphones have an advantage since without much bass you can hear footsteps easier however they are not really all that fun to listen to if you enjoy bass (you give up bass for the best edge in fps gaming). ignoring the extremes people go to for any little advantage however and yes, either the dt770 or dt990 can be used for competitive gaming. they are certainly detailed enough with a large enough soundstage to do thus.

both are also fairly bassy (read: not bass cannons.. thats the next step up... but bassy) so should work well to satisfy anyone but hardcore bassheads (which often sacrifice audio quality to get extreme quantities of bass).

it certainly is recommended to either get a strong soundcard or external amplifier. if you want virtual surround sound as an option (and do not think razer virtual surround [which is the worst of your options as far as that is concerned] is good enough then using a soundcard [or onboard audio if your onboard supports virtual already and is of decent quality] paired with an amplifier is best. if you do not care about virtual then a good external dac+amp is a good idea. the dt770-80 you can run on the creative soundblaster z card if you wanted. you might be able to sneak by with the dt990 on said card but i would recommend an amplifier instead. its not a matter of "if i'm going to play competitively" its a matter of "can i actually get the headphones to produce sound at all". some onboard audio simply is not capable of powering high impedance headphones (some are, but i'd question just how powerful those so called high power onboard audio solutions are). regardless, assume you will need to spend some money on a soundcard or amp when planning your budget.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.